N I N E T E E N

~ The Calm Before the Storm ~
~ day 35 ~
• J O K E R •
(yurrrr! this chapter contains smut! enjoy! 🤍)

I coax her blazer off her shoulders, using my foot to push the door closed. I can't help but linger behind her as she wanders further into the apartment, eyes tracing her shape in her choice of dress which hugged her in all the right places.

"We're home!" Cheyenne calls out, the only response her own echo. She sighs as she realizes it's just us all alone tonight. My eyes wander to the back of her head as she walks further away, leaving the voices & I alone to overthink that sigh.

Was she disappointed it was just us?

Was she hoping the others would be here so they could gang up on you?

Was she relieved we were alone so no one could stop her if she jumped you?

I don't realize I'm frozen in place until Cheyenne clears her throat.

"Hello?" she huffs, eyebrows furrowed. I blink and she lets out what I perceive as another hefty and loaded sigh. "You weren't even listening. You haven't been all night, what has been on your mind?"

I shake my head, straightening my spine in order to appear more present. "Nothing, nothing. Just tired. Worried about Harley and James. I need a drink."

"Hm," she squints before turning her back to me and sinking into the couch. "Can you pour me something, too? I'll roll us a blunt."

I hum before making my way to the kitchen, setting the blazer over the back of the couch. Once safely in the kitchen, out of the view of Cheyenne, I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Ever since Angel got banished, I've been wallowing in paranoia. What did James and Harley know? What did Cheyenne know? I was the only link left to her money, not that the money even mattered anymore, but the integrity of what I did mattered. And what Angel had said before she left didn't help any.

~ 3 days earlier ~

The walk was quiet, but rushed with Angel flanked by Mercy, my guards and I. Unfortunately, Cheyenne hadn't considered the fact that it was broad daylight when she beat Angel to a pulp before exiling her.

Next to me, I hear quiet deep breaths along with seeing the constant movement of someone glancing behind themselves from the corner of my eye. I glance over, find Mercy, who glances at me for a split second before keeping her eyes forwards, her expression spooked.

"Keep it together," I huff under my breath, checking her with my arm. She seems to flinch at my voice, but quickly relaxing as she glances back at Angel, who was still sobbing and gasping for air.

"You don't think that was too much?" She whispers, keeping her eyes forward as we near the entrance. I feel my browline furrow as we halt, waiting for Frost to come around and open the door for us.

"It wasn't enough," I hiss, reaching back and grabbing Angel's arm so that I could drag her through the door and towards Frost's truck. "You don't know half the history behind what's going on and it's best you stay the fuck out of it."

She stares up at me, eyes slightly wide as she nods and helps Angel into the truck. She seems a bit shaken as she speaks again, taking off her cloak and draping it over the backseat before climbing into the truck behind Angel. "We, uh, we should get her cleaned up before she leaves."

"Yeah, yeah, we'll drop her at some hospital," I say, rolling my eyes as I dismiss her. "We need to talk. Get lost."

"What?" Mercy scoffs, looking up at me , her eyebrows furrowed. This is the first time I've seen her with some type of conviction behind her eyes and I liked it, but I couldn't let that get in my way right now. "She needs medical attention now. She's done enough talking and honestly, she probably can't anymore. She needs stitches, she needs-"