S I X T E E N

~ Coup de Foudre ~
~ day 31 ~
• J A M E S •

I lean against the bar and lighting the cigarette I balanced between my lips, smirking to myself as I watch Mercy dance with her friends. The music was loud and I was getting nudged by the dancing and drinking people standing beside me, but I didn't mind as long as I was watching her.

It was so surreal, watching her be so carefree. Not only did it take some getting used to at first, but it was the direct opposite of everyone else in Gotham. Everyone else she hung around. She was a literal ray of sunshine in the darkest place in New York.

Tonight was the only time I'd seen the people she hung around crack a smile and it was in costume, with face paint and cheap wigs on. She was supposed to be a vampire, she even had the fake fangs and the fake blood and somehow convinced me to dress up with her. And it was weird. I had no idea how she convinced me to wear the fake fangs, or a white button up stained with fake blood, or how she even convinced me to walk around with a few buttons undone. She claims it was based off of some show called The Vampire Diaries, but I wasn't so sure.

I bring the cigarette, feeling my face flush slightly when Mercy looks at me for a split second. Her hair was curled, framing her face in a way that brought attention to her high cheekbones. I wasn't sure if it was because I was a little tipsy or that I was truly just attracted to her. A little bit of both, maybe.

The phone Ivy gave me buzzes in my pocket and when I check it, it's Harley asking how things are going, making my smile falter as Mercy looks away. Before I left the apartment, Ivy and Harley made sure I had the vial and tiny audio receiver. A bug to plant on Mercy to find out how Joker was involved with Cheyenne's missing money.

Just make sure it's somewhere she'll never find it, but somewhere it's always with her. Doesn't she wear some uniform?

Obviously, her cloak came to mind immediately, but I wasn't sure how I was supposed to even do any of this. Plant a bug or use the potion. Normally, I'd suggest putting it in her food, but I doubt she wouldn't notice that. Instead, you're going to just touch her. Behind her ear or on her neck.

How am I supposed to organically work that into a conversation? Just casually touching her neck or behind her ear?

"Hey," I hear a voice semi-yell from a foot or so away. I quickly look up, finding Mercy, who was smiling as she approaches me, so I smile back, tucking my phone in my pocket and hoping she didn't notice the look on my face before.

"Water, please," Mercy tells the bartender, yelling over the music as she settles in at the bar next to me before smiling up at me. "Are you having a good time?"

"I am," I chime, making her smile as I watch the bartender put water, ice, and a skinny black straw inside a small plastic cup along with a lemon slice. This might be my chance. "Uh...sorry I stepped away from you guys. I just needed some air."

"And I'm guessing that's air?" She chuckles, motioning to the cigarette balancing between my fingers. I grin, nodding defeatedly before I take another pull.

"Guilty," I sigh, watching as her gaze falls on the cigarette before the bartender slideds her the water she had ordered. "Want one?"

"Nah," she huffs, shaking her head. "Smoking isn't my thing."

"Very responsible," I tease, making her giggle and blush even more. I chuckle, the vial and the bug in my pocket suddenly feeling like a couple of bricks in my pocket. My chance at using the potion was in that plastic dipped cup filled with cold water.

I watch as Mercy leans forward, talking to a friend who had approached. They were both distracted giving me the perfect opportunity. But, the last thing I wanted was to get caught off guard by a handful of assassins.