Chapter 8: I will protect you

Zachary Walton P.O.V

"Yes sir, I'll make sure it will be ready in time," I was on an important conference call when I heard shouting outside my office. I frowned and was glad the call was coming to an end when a very angry Elise burst into my office followed by my new assistant Mary. "Alright, sir I'll be calling you tomorrow with more details on the shipping. Have a good day..." Elise had cut the line.

If I wasn't in a good mood right now I would be so angry at her. Instead, seeing her this angry just made me smirk. Damn, she looked sexy. I looked at Mary behind her and motioned her to leave. As soon as she did I relaxed in my chair and looked up at Elise amused.

"Oh don't you dare look at me like that Mr. Walton! You don't know how much I'd like to wipe that smirk off your face right now!"

"What's got you so riled up Elise? Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"Actually yes! Xavier Hunt called me first thing in the morning!"

"And?"

"Ughhh you are impossible! And he told me my 'boyfriend' called him and told him I wouldn't be able to work with him because I have more important things to do. I mean seriously? You told me about the guy and I wasn't going to work with him. So why go to such length and call the man?"

"Oh, that's what's gotten you all irked up," I smirked getting up and going to where she was standing. I turned her to face me. "Elise, this guy is dangerous. I wasn't sure last night you really agreed not working for him or you just said that to shut me up. So this morning I called him and told him to find someone else."

"But you didn't have to," she said more softly this time. She seemed to relax under my touch.

"I know, but I wanted to. And I was going to call you in any way. I have a proposal for you. Now sit so we can talk business. And before you protest, not as my assistant."

She nodded and sat down "What are you talking about?"

I sat down across from her "We are talking about The Walton's. A chain of hotels around the world. And I want you to supervise the design process. The architect finished his job here in New York, he's heading to another state for the next hotel. In the meantime, I want you to handle the whole project design-wise. Do you think you can do it?"

"I... wow that's huge. I know I can but how can you trust me with such a huge project? I never really worked in the design world yet."

"There's a first time for everything. And take it as a chance to start on your own, without needing the help of any other architect. If we don't like the outcome, and I doubt we'll come to that, but if we do we'll do it all from the beginning. We have time." I said trying to reassure her. I wanted her to take the project because I wanted her to stay close to me and like that I'd be sure she wouldn't be working with some pervert I won't be able to protect her from.

"When will I start?" she asked a few minutes later.

I tried hard to hide my satisfaction "Whenever you're ready."

"Fine, I can start on Monday. I'd be finished with unpacking and settled down."

"We have a deal. Now, do you want something to drink?" she didn't have time to say anything back as my door opened and my mother walked in in all her glory.

I got up and welcomed her "Mother, what a pleasant surprise"

"Stop lying Zachary" she let me kiss her cheek and turned her attention to Elise.