Simula

Presence

Is it a lie if you conceal truth by covering it with another truth? Because it will always work. You won't even get to feel guilty about it. So, I declare this, game time.

There will always be people who'll try to bring you down when you're on the brink of success. When that happens, it will be really hard not to get affected by their words.

Dancing is my way of escaping. But instead of escaping, they push me harder to that dark room again. The dark room full of pain, sorrow and foolishness because of all I did when I was young. When I was reckless and impulsive. Instead of escaping from that dark room, they pushed me harder in the corner, farther away from the switch and the knob.

"You really should stop thinking about them. Sino ba sila diba? Kung wala silang pake sa nararamdaman mo, wag mo na rin sila pakielaman."

How, though? When you love them so dearly, why would you lose your care for them to feel numb?

"I just... I don't want to talk about it."

Because everytime I talk about this, something bad happens. It's either I cry, they judge me or both.

"You know, Vivienne, you can talk to me about everything."

"I've heard that line a thousand times already."

I exaggerated to make a point.

"Aww, sakit no'n ha." She laughed.

Tumigil siya sa pangungulit sa akin. I felt guilty. That was my habit. To laugh and pretend that I'm okay. It hurts to see it in my friend's eyes. But what could I do when I can't even fix myself? How can I comfort people if I can't even accept myself?

Lalong lalo na ngayong may misyon akong itinalaga para sa sarili ko. This should have happened years ago but I guess I'm the only one destined to end the feud.

A sudden light bulb flashed inside my mind. That's right! If I can't accept myself, I should find someone who can! And make myself confident! Someone who is the most confident of them all! He can share it with me, his secrets. How to feel good and be cool! I can be out of my misery!

"Bea, I think I might have an idea."

"Hmm? Ano iyon?"

"I need confidence."

I said with finality. Tinignan lang niya ako at may multo ng ngiting dumaan sa kaniyang labi.

"This sounds like Operation: Viper," she bit her lips, "Who's the lucky guy?"

"What about... Hercules?"

Biglang nawala ang kislap sa mata niya.

"Wait... Hercules? A-as in Calix Hercules Calliego?"

"Yes!"

"N-no! No, I won't let you, V! He's a heartthrob and a playboy! He'll break your heart, ruin your reputation with girls and our club, and you're gonna get in big trouble! His famil-"

"Hey, Bea! Stop it, okay? I'm gonna be fine! He won't break my heart, I won't fall in love. He won't ruin a reputation that has already been ruined, he won't get to be involved in our club, and I'm not gonna get in big trouble. His family, you say? I won't go near them."

"V, there's a feud between your families. A Calliego and a Brown can never be together! Even if it's just a joke! There is no joke when it comes to both your families! That's why B and C are just beside each other! It shouldn't collide!"

"Oh my God, that is out of our leagues! They won't know! If they knew, then I won't die, I got my family by my side, always!"

"I don't know, V... I don't think I can support you with this one. You know our family has been supporting yours since day 1 but I don't know what to say when my Mother knows about this."