Chapter 5

The throne chamber was empty now, save for a few guards. The nobles that had previously occupied the chamber had since filed out. Duchess Florjes still sat in her throne with her consort next to her and their children standing beside them.

"What is it you wish to discuss with us, Your Grace?" Sir Gerard asked formally.

Salvador tried and failed to hide his snort.

Ever the knight.

Gerard discreetly glared at him, but Duchess Florjes only chuckled.

Salvador saw no such laughter on the faces of her children save for Angelica and Inejgo.

"As you can see," the duchess began, "my eldest daughter does not have her husband with her." Myreia was married to some lord that Salvador did not know the name of. Nor did he care. Carlos, however, was married to the daughter of Duke Jerón Chaver. He was Duke of Prétreaux, Island of the Mines. His daughter, Lady Andela Chaver was a twenty-year-old young woman whom Salvador had personally met.

She was born and made for the court.

Why the devilish woman had a silver tongue and cunning attitude that only one bred for the court could have. He had actually taken the liberty to eavesdrop on one of her conversations with a highborn friend of hers. She had been venting her anger out on her because she was frustrated that she was marrying the son of the Duchess of Veroña instead of the prince.

The woman was ambitious.

"It is because Lord Estevan of Carcino has been called away to cool down rising tensions between him some other minor lord." The duchess seemed exasperated, slightly rolling her eyes when she spoke. It was a petty thing, the way these lords and ladies fought over the smallest of things. But not once in his lifetime did Salvador remember the King of Sersalvon actually using his royal power to do something useful. Like stopping the incessant internal fighting.

But at the same time. . . it was that very internal fighting which had allowed Salvador to become well-known and rich.

"What is it you wish us to do, Your Grace?" Salvador asked, growing a tad bit impatient.

"I want you to check in on the situation. Find out a way to ease the tensions. If a conflict does break out. . . then you must stop it. I'm afraid I have to provide our allies at least some support in their squabbles." She sighed. "Do this job and I won't take the tithe you owe me for this month."

Salvador's eyebrows shot up. "Truly?"

The duchess grinned. "Truly."

Salvador looked at Gerard and then back at Duchess Florjes. "This is a job for both of us?"

"Yes," she answered, nodding.

Salvador looked at Gerard again, who shrugged. He turned back to Duchess Florjes. "Why not?"

The duchess looked pleased. "I'll have a ship ready to go in a week's time."

A question struck Salvador's head. "Wait, which island does this. . . lord live on?"

Gerard gave a sharp cough that sounded a lot like laughter. Inejgo snickered and Angelica's faced turned strawberry-red as she tried to hide her laughter. Both Carlos and Myreia just glared daggers at Salvador.

"Luxauno," Myreia snapped.

"Ah." Luxauno was the Crown Island of Sersalvon. It housed the capital of Sersalvon, Navitium, City of Ships and the ancient seat of House Navíste, the Royal House of Sersalvon.

A bunch of lazy, drunkards who were too nearsighted to see past their own fingers. Myreia's husband was most likely sworn to one of the king's brothers.