Chapter 31 Pt I

There were not many people at breakfast with the High King. Salvador noted Emma, the steward Elias, the Lord High Treasurer Emmerich, and an Élirian admiral. Salvador also noted how the Élirians were so misrepresented in the court of the Réaltimarines.

The breakfast was silent for a long time. The High King was constantly glancing at Gerard and Salvador, studying the two. He seemed to have completely forgotten about Captain Tomas. The food they were eating was foreign to the Sersalvonians. The scrambled eggs he ate, but on the side of his plate, there was something that looked vaguely like... he didn't want to think about it. It looked like it was made out of meat though. He just wasn't so sure he wanted to eat it. In another bowl, he had what he thought might've been porridge. But it was completely bland.

Disgusting.

No one spoke until the High King spoke. And when Peter did, he was staring directly at Captain Tomas. "You. You there. You hardly talk, unlike your savage friends. Who even are you?"

"I am Captain Tomas Velezera of the Seeker Company... Your Majesty." Salvador noticed Tomas's slight struggle at Peter's title.

"And who do you serve?"

Tomas lifted his chin. "The highest bidder."

The Élirian admiral snorted. "I don't know why you trust these mercenaries, Your Majesty. They are all vile creatures, constantly turning on their contracts at the slightest mention of hardship."

"I must protest, Your Majesty," Gerard butted in. "In these Isles, infighting between local powers is constant and expected. Therefore, mercenaries are commonplace. They wouldn't be if every free company betrayed their employers."

"Good," the High King said. "Then you will not balk at what we tell you."

Gerard raised his eyebrow. "Oh?"

Elias cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, perhaps we should wait―"

"No," Peter snapped. "We are to invade Barbaruda as soon as the rest of the Seeker Company arrives."

Gerard frowned. "Not even a few days rest?"

Peter shook his head. "This host has waited far too long. The recent influx of money from the homeland gives us the perfect opportunity to strike. With Barbaruda out of the picture, the rest of the Caraíbes Isles shall be up for the taking. Twelve more months and my men will have conquered the entirety of this jungle-filled hellscape. Finally, we shall be able to return to the more moderate climate of Réaltimar."

"And Élira," the admiral added.

Peter waved him off. "You understood what I intended."

The Élirian admiral seemed a little offended, but he tried to brush off the matter.

Now, Peter turned his gaze to Gerard. His blue eyes were little circles of diamond that reflected the dim light of the dawn. His curly blond hair fell to his shoulders, so much like his sister's; a golden cascade. "And so I ask thee: when is the rest of the company arriving?"

The Freelancer Knight met the gaze of the High King of Réaltimar. And he answered, "If they have not been impeded by corsairs or some other inconvenience... tomorrow."

"Thank you!" Peter exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air in an expression of relief. "See, Elias? No harm in that."

Elias nodded but he still gave the Sersalvonians a suspicious glance.

Now, the Lord Treasurer Emmerich spoke. "Your Majesty, I am worried about the cost of this invasion."

"Why?" Peter asked without facing the bald man.