Chapter 6

After hours of training, Salvador was hunched over, panting and gasping for breath. Sweat caused his training leathers to go damp and parts of his clothes stuck to his body. He held a glaive in his hand.

"Ready for another round?" Gerard asked. Sweat clung to his forehead and glared off his head.

"Give me a break," Salvador moaned.

"Get up."

With reluctance clinging to his very bones, Salvador stood straight up. "I swear this sweat is seeping into my bones."

Gerard ignored him and lifted his longsword to strike.

"Oh bother," Salvador said with a sigh. He lifted his glaive to meet the blow. They spent the good part of ten minutes poking and hacking at each other before the two called it a standstill.

Salvador grabbed a jug of water and headed over to one of the arenas, where he saw Inejgo Florjes sparring with Carlos Florjes. Carlos had six years of experience on Inejgo, and it clearly showed in the sparring ring. Inejgo was on his heels, defending against the quick blows of Carlos. It was a combination of luck and skill that saved him from being quickly knocked out. Salvador caught sight of Angelica watching the match as well. She was also sweaty, like most people in the training hall.

"How long have these two been going at it?" he asked her.

"Fifteen minutes at this point. Only because Inejgo dances away each time Carlos is about to land the finishing blow," she replied.

"How'd you do?" he asked her.

She gave him a smile. "Beat everyone I went up against. Now all I need to do is beat you."

He gave her a small tsk, tsk, tsk. "Getting ambitious now, Angelica."

She grinned at him. "That's one thing you and I have in common."

Up in the ring, it was clear that Carlos had won. Inejgo was on the ground, groaning and soothing his bruises, and Carlos stood above him, victorious. He faced the crowd and boomed, "Who else? Who else wishes to face me?"

No one stepped up to his challenge.

Salvador assessed Carlos; his posture was lined with arrogance and his voice seethed of cockiness. He stood about, waving his sword at the crowd and calling out for an opponent.

"Will no one step up?" he exclaimed. "No one?" He shook his head in disappointment and moved to sheath his sword.

"I'll do it," Salvador blurted, surprising himself and those around him.

Angelica looked at him in surprise. Gerard, who had just come to watch the spectacle, also looked at Salvador with surprise.

Carlos whirled to face Salvador. "You?"

Salvador nodded. "Yes."

Carlos' lip slowly curled up into a smile. "Well then. Why not? Live steel?"

Salvador shrugged. "Sure. I just need a longsword."

"Here," Inejgo called and tossed Salvador his blade.

Salvador caught the sword in the air by the hilt and flipped in his hand once. "This will do," he said and climbed into the ring.

He held the longsword in two hands and stood in a defensive position. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that the Duchess Lilliana Florjes and Lady Myreia had entered the training hall.

Great, he thought sarcastically. Seems like I have an important audience as well.

Carlos gripped his longsword and swiped at Salvador; a probing attack. Salvador easily sidestepped and the blade only met air. He felt his fatigue fade away as adrenaline rushed through his veins. He stabbed at Carlos, who sidestepped but was soon barraged with a flurry of attacks. The ringing sound of steel on steel filled the silent training hall as all eyes were on Carlos and Salvador.