Chapter 11

He heard a knock on his door in the early morning. Slowly, and grumbling, he rose from bed.

Whoever that is will not walk away unscathed, he thought maliciously. He opened the door and found himself face-to-face with a messenger. He glowered at the fool.

"The prince wishes to see you," the messenger announced.

Salvador contemplated knocking the messenger flat on the ground just for his amusement before he decided otherwise. In the end, he followed him all the way to rooms of Prince Benedict.

The prince greeted him warmly. "Thank you for coming, Salvador." He dismissed the messenger.

"What makes you call for me at this unangelic hour?"

"Listen. I've been at Carcino for a week now. I've tried six times to convince Lord Estevan to come to terms with Lord Herreran. Today shall be the seventh and the last.

"After a while, I realized there would be no way to get Lord Estevan to treat with Herreran. So I sent a message by dove to Lord Herreran two days ago stating that the prince demanded he arrive to Carcino to treat with Lord Estevan."

"I don't see why this couldn't have waited until after I had broken my fast," Salvador complained.

"It couldn't have waited because I got a reply from Lord Herreran," Benedict informed.

"What did it say?"

"That he was indeed coming to Carcino. Though whether it was to treat or not would be up to Lord Álavar."

"He's coming with an army."

Benedict nodded grimly. "May He Up Above help us. . . I don't know what to do."

"You brought me into this," Salvador seethed. "And I'll have to get us out. I'll tell you what we'll do. We declare Lord Estevan an enemy to the throne, for he has committed treason, and take Carcino by force. Our forces will overwhelm his in a matter of hours. Then, we wait for Lord Herreran to arrive, declare him a traitor and crush him."

Benedict stared at Salvador breathless. "You're suggesting the most unchivalrous thing anyone could think off."

That pissed Salvador unchivalrous. "What is chivalry? There was no chivalry involved in the Rape of Sancta Corentina. Fifteen thousand men, including over three hundred knights, fell upon tens of thousands of innocent people, men and women and children of high and low birth were slaughtered alike. All male members of House Corentina were slaughtered, even two infants. The females were forcefully married away to members of the houses that partook in Sancta Corentina's destruction."

"These may be grim times. . ." Benedict coneeded.

Salvador seized upon his words. "And in grim times one must do grim things. Lord Herreran will be about a two days' ride from Carcino. Gather your host on the morrow and I shall gather mine." If they will obey me, but he did not speak that thought.

Salvador saw Benedict begin to crumble. "But. . ."

"From one man who lives in the shadows to another," Salvador said.

At that, he saw Benedict's eyes brighten and his mouth set into a hard line. "No."

Salvador stared at him.

"You're right, I live in the shadow of another, my brother. My brother cares naught for the kingdom, only for wine, girls, his lance and his sword." He met Salvador in the eye. "I look up to you. You do amazing feats even though no one knows it. But you live in the shadow of someone so gallant and chivalrous he is the face of chivalry in Sersalvon. To get out of his shadow you have to be his opposite. Swaggering, witty, and ruthless. But I have to escape another shadow, and to do that I must be the opposite of my brother. I must be an example to the kingdom."