Chapter 26

"The Lord Constable and the Arch-Cardinal are taking much longer than I expected," murmured Francisco. "It's only a three days ride from Navitium in a carriage and I sent the message two weeks ago."

Serpent Guard lined the throne room and Francisco's friends and retinue stood before him along with Benedict. Prince Jacquez stood at Francisco's side, a hand on the Crown Prince's shoulder.

Francisco stood up and began pacing back and forth. "They sent a reply to me as well. So I know they've received my message. They said they were coming right away."

A flurry of ideas and theories were thrown at the Crown Prince. He pretended to listen to each and every one of them by shaking his head slowly as if he understood what they were saying. Benedict wanted to roll his eyes but. . . all he could think about was the inheritance of the Serpent Throne. All he could think about was how not only would a person who did not deserve the Crown get it, but he was also a bastard. Benedict was the true Heir to the Serpent Throne. He should be the next wearer of the Serpent Crown.

He deserved it.

Benedict discreetly made the sign of the Angel King. What was that? That wasn't like him? Anyway, his brother had amassed a substantial amount of support and the dukes and duchesses of Sersalvon loved the freedom King Gallo had given them and they knew that would continue under Francisco's "rule."

But not under yours.

"Sweet Evangelynn," Benedict whispered to himself. Those were not his thoughts.

Suddenly, a group of guards burst into the hall. They seemed to be holding a prisoner. Benedict looked at the man they had brought with him and recognized his sigil: it was Count Jovan Galamez.

"Your Highness," one of the Serpent Guards said, "the count came to us, seeking an audience with you. He brought a retinue with him whom we've taken prisoner."

Prince Jacquez whispered something into Francisco's ear.

"Job well done, man," Francisco grinned. "Well, well count. Didn't think you would show face after the attack you ordered on the royal procession."

Count Jovan Galamez was a surprisingly young man. Having inherited his seat only a couple years ago after the untimely death of his grandmother the Countess of Vizayaca. He could've been no older than twenty-five.

"Hear me out, Highness," the count asked, his voice was stoic and without any sign of pleading.

Francisco's face twisted in anger. But Benedict saw through the facade and knew his brother was faking it. For show.

"Bah!" Francisco scoffed. "There is no 'hearing out' that can be done. You attacked the King of Sersalvon and committed the highest order of treason. Guards―" he made a gesture that Benedict recognized as a sign to execute the man.

"Wait!" Benedict cried. The Serpent Guard hesitated at his outcry. "We should at least give the man a chance to speak."

Now, Jacquez spoke, his voice was low and slippery, like a serpent. "This is the man who ordered the attack that killed your father, Benedict! The only way to avenge him is with Count Jovan's death!"

"Father isn't dead!" Benedict shouted.

"And I did not order that attack!" The count hollered.

Benedict whirled around to face the count. "What?"

"I did not order the attack on the royal procession," Jovan repeated.

"Enough!" Francisco bellowed. "I've had enough of these lies and insubordination. I'm the Crown Prince, Benedict! You are a second son!"