Chapter 12

The Carcino troops broke as soon as the Veroña and Navíste knights crashed into them from both sides. Even the professional core could not stand against the might of professional heavy cavalry. The soldiers either threw down their weapons and surrendered, or ran. Those who surrendered were taken prisoner.

Those who ran were cut down.

Lord Estevan and his brothers continued to fight even as their troops melted away before them. Salvador saw Benedict charge at Lord Estevan, his serpent green enameled armor represented his house colors. Salvador had to deal with two of Lord Estevan's brothers.

The taller of the brothers charged at Salvador, war lance aimed for his heart. Salvador rode straight at him, but at the last second he leaned over the side of his mount and tripped the steed of his enemy with the flat of his blade.

He could hear the sound of Estevan's brother's neck snapping.

The other brother screamed in rage and charged at Salvador. He parried the blow with his shield and flicked his sabre at his foe's armored back. The Sidhe steel sliced right through the armor.

Salvador wheeled his horse back around and charged at his foe. The lance of his enemy was shaking and Salvador seized upon this chance. He easily deflected the blow and slashed at his foe's stomach. The Sidhe blade cut through boiled leather and chainmail as if it were a pie. His foe went flying from his horse before landing on his back with a thud!

He was dead.

Lord Estevan had surrendered to Benedict, and with his surrender melted away the remaining resistance. The battle had lasted less than five minutes; the Carcino troops were utterly outmatched.

Benedict and Salvador turned their united host to face the Lord Herreran and Canova. The knights moved back to the wings and the host moved as one. One thousand men in total marched against six hundred.

The sigils of Florjes and Navíste were held high, side-by-side; a sight that had not been seen in over three decades. The blossom and the serpent marched together.

Their infantry and archers were still fresh and eager for battle. Chants began to fill the air:

"Long live the prince!" the cried. "For Navitium! For Fiorá!"

Swordsman banged their swords against their shields and archers waved their bows wildly in the air. Taunts were shouted back and forth between the armies. The soldiers made all types of vulgar gestures at each other (Salvador joined in a bit), and shouted all types of vulgar phrases.

Finally, The Canova-Herreran knights began to move. Like usual, they charged at the center of the Florjes-Navíste formation. Benedict's captains worked quickly; they moved his pikes to the front of the line to meet the cavalry charge. The pikemen lowered their pikes and braced for impact.

Salvador could stand the stench of blood in battle. He cared naught for the screams of dying men and ignored the smell of bowels and bladders loosening in death. The sight of opened stomachs and spilled intestines bothered him not.

But the screams of horses were something else entirely.

He found himself grimacing.

Men flew from their saddles as the pikes stood firm. The horses of the Canova-Herreran knights tripped over the bodies of their comrades. The remaining knights dismounted to face the pikeman on their feet. The pikeman dropped their pikes and grabbed their short swords and shields that were slung over their backs and fought hand-to-hand.

Salvador decided to dismount and joined the fray; his twin sabres danced to a deadly beat, they whirled through the air like a storm of steel, blood, and gore. He found himself laughing as knight after knight fell to his twin blades.