Chapter 30 Pt I

Today was the day. Quiesné, the Day of Peace. The seventh day of the week. The coronation.

Benedict walked the Royal Hall of Lux Aestius, staring at the paintings of all the Kings and Queens of Sersalvon, all the way to Emperor Atlantes, the First Emperor of Sersacelv and Lord of the Caraíbes Isles. He was the one who built this great palace. It was rumored that the First Emperor had been a Stormwarden, an Order of Aetherwielders during a time when magic was in the world. A time before the Banishment. A time of fairy tales, myths, and legends.

"Benedict!" called a familiar voice, pulling him from his thoughts. It was Sir Terrance delle Lafoulé, Lord Captain of the Serpent Guard. One of the best knights in the kingdom. He wore the serpent green cloak of the Guard clasped by a serpent, and was fitted in plate armor with chainmail filling in the gaps. At his belt, Steelheart, an Aes Sídhe blade. The Lord Constable had brought with him all three hundred knights of the Serpent Guard, along with another two-thousand soldiers of the houses Navíste and Laurent.

Benedict smiled. "Sir Terrance."

The old man clapped him on the shoulder. "My good boy, Benedict! It is rejuvenating to see you! Perhaps once this coronation is over, we can spar together like old times in the square. May the late king's soul rest in peace."

Benedict nodded. "Perhaps, Sir Terrance. Perhaps."

"Something seems to be going down here, my boy. A power showdown. The Arch-Cardinal brought a troop of his elite Cleric Knights. There are thousands of troops of different fealty concentrated in this one place... it worries me. Stay close to your guard boy, that is how you shall stay safe."

He's patronizing you, Juliana whispered in his head. The angel of leadership was a comforting voice to have. She seldom spoke now after the battle in Heaven that Benedict had witnessed.

Benedict lifted up his chin. "I've fought in a battle now, Sir Terrance. I'm no longer the unblooded young boy I once was. I know what it's like to swing my sword in battle."

The knight snorted. "That pitiful skirmish against House Canova? Bah. You haven't seen true war, boy."

"Neither have you," he shot back. That hit the knight where it hurt. To be a knight meant to be a warrior, but the Serpent Guard had not deployed in the entire reign of King Gallo.

The knight stiffened. "I suppose you're right about that, Your Highness." Just as he was about to leave, something seized Benedict and he reached out to grab onto the old man's arm.

"When the time comes, Terrance delle Lafoulé, you must choose. And choose with haste." He let go of the knight and walked away.

The final preparations were made and Benedict went to gather into the Great Hall, his heart beating faster. Before he entered, he was stopped by the Arch-Cardinal, flanked by her Cleric Knights. She was wearing white robes with gold linen and a high neckline. She wore the ornate silver Tiara of Evangelynn, the Angel of Faith and held the gold Staff of Corentina in her hand.

"Benedict Navíste, the Pious, Kind, and Warrior Prince," said the Arch-Cardinal by way of greeting. She smiled fondly at Benedict and he smiled back. "It has been a spell since we have spoken."

"Indeed." He kneeled to kiss her ring and she promptly pulled him into a warm embrace. The Arch-Cardinal was in her middle-ages and was an absolute beauty. Her skin was like that of a sweet dark chocolate and her eyes were a stunning gold.

"The time has come to crown a new king," she said.

"Yes."

"One that will strengthen the land."