Chapter 8

The duchess summoned his right after Salvador broke his fast.

She's pissed.

Not that he really cared. It was a rarity, but sometimes the duchess forgot that Salvador was mercenary and served no one. He bowed to no lord or lady; to no duke or duchess.

He was surprised, however, when he entered the throne hall and was greeted by the stares of multiple lords and ladies. Including the lordling, Samee, who stood with the Florjes children.

The lordling was grinning.

I have half a mind to wipe that grin off his soft lordling face.

"Salvador Castellano," the duchess began. "Perhaps it is time for you to make anew with Samee Aguino. You have broken your fast, after all."

A low chuckle ran through the hall. Salvador only smiled, "Yes, Your Grace. I'm afraid that without the pleasant feeling of food in my stomach, I tend to turn but a bit grouchy."

"Then it is only fair that you apologize to young Samee. On behalf of your stomach."

The laughter in the hall rang more clearly now. But Salvador would not let himself be fazed. "For what? For my stomach only acting as supposed and telling me when I should eat? I find quite odd to scold something for doing what is meant to do."

"An owner scolds its cat for tearing up the furniture with its claws. But is a cat not supposed to scratch?" countered Lilliana. "You simply train it not to."

"Yes, but a cat is a pet. My stomach is not, I'm afraid. And even if it were, you would not see my hold it with a leash and take it out for a walk."

The laughter in the hall was open now. But Duke Consort Martyn scowled and so did his nephew. "Enough!" he boomed. He pointed a finger at Salvador and said, "I will not have you mocking my brother's son. You hear me, hireling?"

Salvador remained silent. His gave slowly drifted to Samee Aguino and his snarky smile.

"My husband is correct," Lilliana proclaimed. "Any more of this and you shall be punished fittingly. Is that understood."

Salvador stared at the duchess incredulously. Punish him? Did she truly think she could do that? He was no child anymore. He did not need her comfort to feel safe.

A slow smile spread across his face as he slowly said, "Yes, Your Grace." And then walked out without her leave. Just because he could.

***

The golden altar stood high and proud in the front of the long and lonely white hall. It was decorated with jewels and gems from all over Arkenheim; Salvador could point out a few from the different countries he had visited. In the middle of the altar was a painting of the Angel King seated on his throne with the spirits of the dead standing in long rows before him. At his sides were the Seven, angels of the Holy Virtues; Amaranth, the angel of love. Evangelynn, the angel of faith. Iusphiel, the angel of justice. Zachariah, the angel of patience. Sarafinah, the angel of truth. Mikkael, the angel of diligence. And Uwriyel, the angel of wisdom.

Salvador was kneeling before the altar and praying to Iusphiel and another angel, Cassian, the angel of righteousness. Not one of the Seven, but an angel all the same. His lips moved in silence, forming words but never speaking them. When he finished, he slowly arose from his position before the altar and began to move away.

"Worship begins in only a few moments," came the voice of the priestess. "Do you not wish to attend, Salvador?"

Salvador turned to face her. "You know I never attend worship."

The priestess, Priestess Anah to be exact, sighed. "Yes, I do know. However, I see you come to pray before the altar every day, and yet you refuse to worship with others." Her hair had begun to gray at the edges. The signs of old age. She was wise, the priestess, and kind as well. She had been here from the day Salvador had first stepped into Fiorá, and she had cared for him well. She had taught him of the angels and every other part of the Angelic Faith.

Salvador's mother had been a religious woman. It was because of her that he prayed every day. Because of her and his father.

"To Iusphiel and Cassian, you pray."

Not a question, but Salvador answered it nonetheless. "As always."

The priestess slowly nodded. She remained silent but just stood there. It unnerved Salvador, so he asked her if she had any more questions.

She remained silent for a bit longer before saying, "Iusphiel does not grant his favor to those who stand idle. If it is justice you wish, you must seek it."

"You think I just stand idle?" Salvador asked almost threateningly.

Anah was unfazed. "Your mother is still under lock and key in the keep of Lord José Rivera. Yet you have made no attempt to free her. And here you are, praying that Iusphiel will deliver justice and Lord José will be no more."

Salvador snarled. "If you believe that I have stood idle at the fact that my mother is imprisoned, you are wrong. Many times have I gone to Sapinsville and scourged for news of my mother. There is none. The Lord of Sapinsville has made sure all who saw what happened or knew of my mother kept their mouths shut. His castle is almost impenetrable, and I am no assassin, but that does not mean I have not done anything. In fact―" He gave out a harsh bark of laughter. "About two years ago, there were seven dead men-at-arms found dead in Sapinsville. They were all present when my father was killed and mother was taken captive. None of them had blinked an eye and had probably forgotten about me." He gave a slow cruel smile. "But I didn't forget about them.

"I still remember the face of the man who threw his spear into my father's back. He was one of the seven who died. His body had been obliterated; an arrow on each limb had stuck him to a wall and stab wounds covered his chest. He was also relieved of his head."

Priestess Anah did not look horrified after his little tall. No, in fact, she seemed. . . pleased. "You have yet to avenge their deaths, Salvador. But you are expunging the evil from this world."

I suppose I am, he thought to himself. But truly, I care naught for good nor evil. I only wish justice and vengeance.

"Gerard once asked me why I kept my name and tried to convince me to live under an alias. I refused, why? Because I didn't want José Rivera to take one more thing from me. I wouldn't give up my name because of him. He only heard my name once, once! And maybe not even clearly through all that was happening. Even if he had, why would he remember the name of a boy that was dead? Why would he care to remember the name of a peasant boy? My family surname is a common one in Sersalvon, so he won't give it a second thought. No. . . the bastard doesn't care at all."

Priestess Anah did not speak. She simply stood there, as if she had not heard anything. . . and yet had heard more than what Salvador had said.

"Well then," Salvador said, breaking the silence. "Excuse me, for I do not wish to interrupt worship." And he walked out of the chamber.