Chapter 20

After a meeting of officers, the Freelancer Company decided to head for Barbaruda. The Barbarudi were currently the only power in the Caraíbes Isles that could stand up to the Evrúopeans.

Salvador stood at the prow of the ship, staring at the endless blue of the ocean. The salty ocean spray constantly jumping out from the sea and hitting him in the face. It was a serene sight. One that drove away the nightmares.

Ever since that fateful day in Grenaserrat City, Salvador found himself plagued by nightmares. He would have vivid visions of the dying peasants of Grenaserrat City. He saw the Evrúopeans killing the commoners, regardless of age or gender. He saw the woman and her child, trying to run away from the Evrúopean knight that Gerard killed.

He saw his own failure.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. He knew in an instant that it was Gerard. The Freelancer Knight said nothing. He just stayed close to Salvador, watching the beautiful sea.

"Land ho!" screamed the man in the crow's nest. "Land up ahead!"

Salvador squinted and waited.

"Here," Gerard said, handing him a spyglass.

"Thanks," Salvador mumbled. He raised the spyglass to his right eye and focused up ahead. Yes, he could see the coastline. If their course had stayed true, they should be in the vicinity of the Barbarudi city of Bethebleu.

"How in the Angel King's name will we do this?" Salvador asked, more to himself than anyone else.

Gerard answered nonetheless, "We have to try. It is obvious the Evrúopeans will strike at Barbaruda next. Our homeland is too divided to put up any defense. Barbaruda is the Caraíbes' last hope."

Salvador felt his hand form into a fist. "Eternal damnation to the King of Sersalvon for letting that happen! I'm not sure Barbaruda can stand to the Evrúopeans. Before the fracturing of Sersalvon, the Sersalvonian military might was the greatest in the Caraíbes!"

Gerard grunted in reply. "However, the Barbarudi sphere of influence could be enough to stall the Evrúopeans. Barbaruda holds sway in many other Carabaí nations."

"But the Barbarudi alone seems unlikely to beat the Evrúopeans," Captain Tomas added out of the blue. "It is necessary to have a united Sersalvon in the Caraíbes to push back the Evrúopeans."

Salvador felt himself sneer at Tomas. "Doesn't Veroña revel in a broken Sersalvon?"

"And I suppose you cared anything for the fractured kingdom during your time spent around being a mercenary?"

Salvador whirled around to Tomas. "You're right. I didn't care. And I still don't. I don't care for the kingdom, I care for its peasants. The innocents who will die by the thousands, even though they have no part in the war that will reach their shores."

"You and I both know that the Duchess of Veroña is the best hope for Sersalvon right now. She holds the largest duchy and the most powerful military force in Sersalvon," Tomas retorted.

Salvador did not answer immediately. But when he did, his tone one of mock regret. "Then Sersalvon's fate is truly dark."

Tomas's face darkened. "It's an honor to follow you, Segniuer Castellano. I respect you greatly. But I shall not have you foul-mouthing my liege lady."

"Screw your liege lady."

"Salvador―" Gerard said, attempting to intervene. But he was too late. Captain Tomas drew his sword without a moment's hesitation and Salvador was a fraction of a second behind him, Gerard's Aes Sídhe blade shining.