Surprise

Arthur picked at the skin around his nails as he paced back and forth in the living room. He has no need to be nervous, Merlin will be home soon and absolutely LOVE his surprise, right? What if he doesn't like it? No no he will. He will! Then why is he so anxious? What if he isn't ready or thinks that his timing is bad? What if Merlin is tired and just wants to go to bed as soon as he gets home after having driven two hours from his mother's house? He stayed there for a week and he should of gone with him to ask Hunith what she thinks but instead he let Merlin go by himself while Arthur stayed home running to and fro searching desperetly and shopping impusively. He bought things they probably wont even use but they might and he isn't sure if he regrets buying all of it yet or not. They have been dating for a two years and have only lived together for seven months but Arthur thought it was time and he has already bought it and there is no turning back now.

Oh God, Merlin's car is pulling into the driveway! Arthur should of changed into something nicer, he had plenty of time and yet he is just hanging out in basketball shorts and a T shirt and pacing around like an idiot. Should he meet Merlin at the door? Let him find him? Why doesn't he have a better plan after a week of thinking about this, longer even! The door opens and Arthur is sprinting to the door as fast as he can as Merlin walks in with his duffle bag.

"Arth-OHF" Merlin grunts as his boyfriend crushes his bones in what is supposed to be a hug. "Arthur, you oaf, I can't breathe."

"Oh, sorry sorry." Arthur says pulling back and grinning manically at him. "Hi." He says lamely.

"Well hello," Merlin chuckles out and sets the bag down before opening his arms, "lets try that again."

They hug and Merlin can feel the tension in Arthur's body and the way he clings to him as if afraid to let go. "I was only gone a week and we talked everyday." He states in an amused tone as he pulls away.

"We texted everyday, I didn't talk to you." Merlin rolls his eyes and moves past Arthur to actually get into his house and not just right in the door. He sits at the kitchen table and points to a soda, smiling as Arthur gives it to him.

"Are, are you tired, or do you think, I mean, I have a, well it can wait I just,"

"Arthur are you okay?"

"Me? Oh yeah. Yes, yes I am good. I am dandy, how are you?"

Merlin furrows his brow and studies him, "I will be great when you stop acting to strange. Whats going on?"

"Okay, um, I have a surprise for you."

"A surprise?" Merlin perks up as he questions and looks at him expectantly.

"Yes, I do, could...could you wait here a moment?"

"Ye-"

"No wait, the living room, can you wait in the living room?"

Merlin laughs, rolling his eyes as he gets up and walks to the living room to sit down on the couch to wait. He hears Arthur's rushed steps on the carpet but hears nothing beyond that. It doesn't sound like he went to their room, but what is going to be there guest room, if they ever get around to it that is. There isn't a bed in there yet just an empty carpeted room. Apparently it isn't as empty as Merlin thought however.

"Close your eyes!" Arthur calls out, seeming to be struggling with something, wether that be emotions or he is bringing Merlin a really big stuffed bear...he isn't sure.

"Closed."

"Are they really."

"Yes!"

"Okay. So," He says as he walks around the corner of the couch, "I know we have barely adjusted to living together," His voice gets closer until he is in front of him, "and I know it's going to be a lot of work and might cost a lot" his voice shakes as he kneels in front of him, or sits on the ground Merlin isn't too sure, "But..."
Merlin heard a strange noise and can't place it, "You can open your eyes."

Merlin gasps and Arthur smiles grins bashfully, "Surprise!"

"Arthur..." He breathes out and slides off the couch to sit in front of him.

"You like it?"

"Arthur, are you kidding? I love it! What is it?" he asks excitedly as he reaches for it.

Arthur sets the puppy in Merlin's lap, "An Australian Blue Merle Border Collie!" He states happily before adding, "Oh and a boy."

"Oh he is so so so cute! Oh Arthur!" He leans foreward and pecks his lips before admiring his new puppy.

"He is so quiet and calm!"

"Yeah I made sure to tire him out before you got home so he wouldn't make a ruckus." The puppy stirred and wagged it's tail and climbed on him clumsily, makes little yips at him. He has a blue bandana tired around his neck as well as a simple black collar underneath it.

"What's his name?"

"I thought you could pick it out."

"Blue!"

"Oh my god."

"What?"

"Nothing nothing. Blue it is."

"Blue Bear Pendragon."

"Blue Bear? Where did you get bear?"

"I don't know, just cute."

"You two are going to be amazing models together, you have the same color eyes."

"Thank you so much! I didn't think you wanted a pet! Not yet at least."

Arthur shrugged, "We live out in the country and these are the smartest dogs and we can train him to not go near roads, don't chase cars, and whatever."

"I have to call my mom! Tell her she has a grandchild!" Arthur rolls his eyes and Merlin stands up to grab his phone while giggling at Blue fumbling after him. He ran back to Arthur and kissed him again, "I love you, thanks!"

"I love you too, and you are very welcome."

Arthur's heart beat happily at his little family and he can't wait for it to grow. He can't wait to have a big family with Merlin, wether that be dogs, cats, kids, or all of the above.