it was cold outside

It was cold outside.

The stars were brighter than usual, but maybe its because her light wasn't there to outshine them. The air was thicker than usual, but maybe its because her laughter didn't lighten it.

It seemed when her light when out, everything shifted.

He swore to keep her light on, swore to protect her from the darkness that began to engulf our world. He tried, but the darkness got to her soon before he realized.

He remembers the smell of his sheets when he got the call, the smell of her coconut shampoo filling his nose as he hugged the pillow - the one where her curls laid only hours before. He remembers seeing her sweatshirt draped across his bathroom counter, placing a mental note in his head to give it to her the next time he saw her. Not thinking he may never be given the chance.

He remembers how he saw her name light up his screen, the smile on his lips dropping as the cries from the other line intensified, his eyes welling with tears as he ran to his mother. "Get the police to Kaycee's house, somethings not okay." He remembers the look on her face as she frantically dialed 911, her hands shaking as she urged Sarah to call her family.

He remembers hearing her slurring words, cursing apologies. He cooed her, tears streaming down his face as he heard the phone drop from her hands - the call ending. Sean hit his hands against the steering wheel, his knuckles turning blue.

Her words echoed in the back of his head as he continued driving, like the call was the only station on that night.

After an hour of driving, he arrived to her house. It was dark, empty. He could feel it in the pit of his stomach, he could feel it in the air, in the silence. He knew something was wrong.

His fingers grazed the phone in his pocket, tears falling onto the screen as he was met with her beautiful smile - the smile he knew he wouldn't be seeing anymore. The ringing filled his car, until he heard Kylie's voice. It was raspy, cracking as she spoke - he could hear how she tried to bite back her cries. "We're at the hospital, please, get here as soon as possible."

He remembers when he walked into the room, her family gathered around the hospital bed - their skin was pale, cheeks and noses red from the back of their hands rubbing at their raw skin. Kylie wrapped her arms around him, her tears soaking his shirt as she broke down in sobs. He gently rubbed her back, pressing his quivering lips to her hair. "She isn't going to make it." she sobs. "they give her only a couple hours."

He remembers when he first saw her. The smile she usually wore was gone, her lips were painted blue - flat instead of its normal curve. He took her hand in his, tears falling down his face. Her hands were cold, numb - the warmth of her hands when they intertwined their fingers was gone. Her eyes were closed, her dark lashes hiding the speckles under her eyes. All he wanted was to see her hazel eyes, the color of the deep forest floor and blooming flowers.

He knelt down at the edge of the bed, her family stepping out of the room to give him some privacy. He reached into his lap, unfolding the fabric that rubbed against his fingers. "Im returning your sweatshirt, you left it at my house earlier." he draped it over her stiff body, a sad smile on his lips as he pressed his mouth to her knuckles.

"Why didn't you tell me, Kaycee?" Sean whispered, biting down on his lip as his body shook - collapsing to the floor as his walls crumbled. "I could have helped you, I could've kept your light on."

He remembers when she took her last breathe, her lips slightly parted as she inhaled, then exhaled - it was gentle but at the same time it was full of strength, it was everything she had left in her. He felt her soul slip from his hands, her family gathered around her fragile body, watching as their beautiful flower wilted before their eyes.

He remembers the sound of the monitor, the beeping coming to a halt - the line flat. The room filled with screams, sobs ripping from their throats as the nurses rushed in.

He remembers pushing the hospital doors open, collapsing to his knees as he looked up at the sky.

The stars were brighter than usual.

The air was thicker than usual.

It was cold outside.