Chapter 10

Jack's P.O.V.

I wake up to the feeling of water dripping on my face, along with the feeling of pain. It takes me a minute to remember everything that happened and realize why I'm in pain. When I look around I realize why I'm wet, there's a broken window above my torn up old bed. I get up and the pain in my side makes me want to cry. I decide to go find Max and see if he has any idea how to stop the pain, after all he's probably worse off than I am. I walk around the cold rundown house looking for any sign of life for a while before I finally find him shivering in the kitchen.
"What are you doing?" I ask.
"Looking for any food that isn't rotten or stale to eat." He replies.
"Find any?" I ask.
"Nope." He responds, he frowns as he closes the cabinet he was looking through. "I thought there would at least be candy, Clyde has got to be hiding suckers around here somewhere!" He continues.
"Actually," Clyde interrupts, "I'm a ghost so real food wouldn't benefit me. The only reason I have this is cause I choked on the damn thing!" He tells us, as he waves his sucker around.
"How are you, your wounds bugging you at all?" Max asks, ignoring that Clyde is even there. He looks at my hand, which is currently holding my side.
"Yeah, I was kinda wondering if you had anything to numb it since you've been out longer than I have." I tell him. Clyde finally walks away, he probably doesn't care about our living people problems.
"No, I've just been dealing with the pain so far but we should get some better supplies and some medicine before we go back home. It'll be a tough battle." Max says, reminding me of our crazy plan to rob our castles.
"Yeah." I reply, "So what's the plan?" I ask.

Max's P.O.V.

Jack wants to know the plan, but in all honesty I haven't really come up with one yet.
"First, we should get some better clothes," I tell him, "then we should get medical supplies, and some food." I continue.
"Okay, how do we get all that? We have no money!" He says.
"We steal it." I reply.
He gives me a look of surprise that tells me he doesn't want to do it.
"Its either that, or we go into a battle we can't win, unprepared, hurt, hungry, and weak. Once we have what we need, get into our castles, and take all the money we need we can stop stealing, Alright?" I reasure him.
"Alright. But we only take what we really need." He says.
"Got it." I reply.
With that we head out. I lead the way as we walk to the store and I try to take the most hidden paths I can find to not be spotted. When we get there we go straight to the back to start looking for clothes. I grab two of the masks left over from Halloween, one is painted like a skull, the other is what looks to be bunny with blood on it. I grab some big bags that say "trick or treat!" On them too and we start putting clothes in them. We grab some gauze and painkillers too. The last thing we shove in the bags are some boxes of cereal and cans of fruits and vegetables. I hand Jack the bunny mask and put the skull mask on myself.
"When the cashier turns around again we need to run. Go to the woods, I'll be right behind you." I whisper to him as we start heading towards the door slowly. He nods to me. A few seconds later the man behind the counter turns around to grab something for the woman he's ringing up and I push Jack to tell him they're both distracted. We run out the door and I hear it jingle behind us and a man yells for us to come back. We run deep into the woods until we run out of breath. When we stop and look around we realize nobody is chasing us anymore. We walk back to the house with our stolen goods and hope nobody recognized us.