Chapter 12

Jack's P.O.V.

Max and I exchange one last nervous glance before splitting up on the path between our castles. As I head to my castle in the dark with my bunny mask covering my face, I keep thinking about how bad of an idea this is. Eventually, I get to the castle and hide around the back as I look for a way in. I decide to climb up the castle wall and end up squeezing through a window of one of the upper bathrooms. I open the door and tiptoe out into the hallway and make my way to the stairs, I can hear my parents arguing in their room. I try my best to ignore it as I walk down the stairs. When I get to the bottom I start looking for where I was told the family riches are kept, going room to room until I find a door with a large lock on it. I go to the social room I had passed through to get to the locked door and start searching through the vases in the room until I find the key under one of them. I go back to the door and unlock it slowly, stepping in quietly. I spot the guard leaning against the wall asleep. I start to put the money in the bags as quickly and quietly as I can as not to wake him. I stop when the bags are full and start back towards the door when the knight wakes up.
"Halt!" He shouts, blocking the door. "I'm taking you in!" He continues. I panic, I can't get caught, I just can't. I run to the back of the room with the guard chasing me. I grab one of the swords hanging on the far wall and swing it around hard and fast as I spin around, my eyes screwed shut. I hear a splat and a thud, and I can feel the blood on my skin. I open my eyes and see the guard on the ground with his head cut off. I start to cry as I look down at him. I know I have to leave and so I go. I unlock and sneak out of a window on the bottom floor and walk back down the path and into the woods. I get to the house and open the door, I walk in and fall to the floor crying. Max rushes up to me, he starts asking what happened and why I'm bleeding, I managed to stammer out the fact that it's not my blood and Max slowly takes the sword out of my bloody hands. Michael tries to calm me down, I try to hug him to feel better but my arms phase through his body. When I finally manage to calm down I take off the blood-soaked sweater and tell them what happened. Then, exhausted from the fear and crying, I fall asleep on the floor, wishing I had never gone home.