Chapter 17

Jack's P.O.V.

I'm cooking a can of beans over the fireplace when Max wakes up. I served him some beans and take a seat next to him with my beans.
"how are you doing?" I ask. He looks okay, but I know from experience that looks can be deceiving.
"I'm okay." He says, he's still covered in blood, he noticed it too when he looks down.
"I'm gonna go take a shower." He says, grabbing a different pair of pajama pants and a black sweater. He definitely doesn't care much about looks. He leaves, and I take our bloody jackets and put them in a large tub I found in one of the closets then fill it with water. I see him walk by me from the corner of my eye as I clean the jackets, surprisingly with cold water and vinegar I was able to get them cleaned again. When I'm done I hang them in the bathroom to dry and walk to the backyard where Max is burning the other bloody clothes. He stares at the fire with a blank look on his face.
"Are you sure you're okay? You can tell me if something is wrong, you know that right?" I ask him, he turns to look at me.
"I'm fine Jack. I know you're worried about me, but I knew what I was doing. I don't like killing people, but I had to protect you. I couldn't let them hurt you or take us back again, I just couldn't let that happen." He says, he has a worried look of his own now.
"Okay." I say, calmly. We stand silently by the fire and watch it burn until it eventually burns out. Then we go back inside and sleep.
In the morning I make more beans and pour some out into a cup for Max. We eat for a while and then we get to talking with some of our ghostly friends. We know more of them now, there's Dallas: a cowboy with a southern accent who slashed his wrists, Kirby: a cat girl who overdosed on drugs, Xavier: a devil who started a fire with a cigarette and burned to death, Crowley: a slasher movie killer who was shot in the head, Thomas: a bear who drowned while diving for apples, Hazel: a clown who had a bad allergic reaction to something she ate the night she died, Blake: a kid in a shirt that says "this is my costume" who fell too hard and cracked their head open which caused them to bleed out, Rose: a ghost (how ironic) who's drink was poisoned, Grace: a nurse who hung herself, Samual: a young kid dressed like a pilgrim who's death I don't know yet, and a group of people who aren't in costumes but in a few different generations of old fashioned clothing styles who's names we don't know. The people in old clothes don't seem to like us very much but I guess it might be because they're old fashioned. Now that I think of it, Samual might also be from the olden times, he's probably just nice because he's a kid. We talk with our dead friends for hours on end, we laugh and joke and tell stories. We spend the day bonding more with them and by the end of the day, I almost forget the deaths from a few days ago. Looking at Max, his smile tells me he's starting to forget it too. We go to bed at the end of this day, happier, and I hope we can stay this way for many days to come.