Chapter 11

Max's P.O.V.

When we get back to the house I start pulling everything out of my bag with my unbroken arm. I hand Jack a pain med and take one myself before unwrapping my hastily made mummy sling. Once it was off I realize that my arm is broken below the elbow so I only needed to wrap that half of my arm.
When I finish wrapping my arm in thick bandages and Jack has finished changing his own bandages, I grab some cereal and shove a handful in my mouth. We eat a bit and drink from some stolen water bottles. When we feel satisfied, we put the food away and change into real clothes. I'm in a pair of what seem to be pajama pants and a maroon sweater. I look at Jack, he's wearing jeans and a thicker purple sweater. Then we went to bed.
We wake up late, eat again, and take another pain med.
"Ready to go?" I ask, watching the windows as the sun starts to set.
"Ready." Jack replies.
With that, we leave. We start walking, masks on and bags in hand. We get to the path, somewhere mid-way between our castles and, with one nervous glance at each other, we split up. I run to my castle, sneaking into the yard through the hedges, I put my back to the wall as I sneak around in the cover of darkness, trying to find an entrance. Eventually, I find a window to the large kitchen that I usually wasn't allowed to be in, since it was for the chefs only. I open it and slide in. I exit the kitchen and find myself in the familiar dining room, with a large table in the middle. From there I go to the social room, and then to the door that leads to the treasury room. I pick the lock and open it, ending up face to face with one of the guards.
"Halt! State your name and business, trespasser!" He shouts at me.
"Max," I start, taking off my mask. "I have come for the money that is rightly mine." I tell him. He looks at me in shock, a look I returned when he takes off his helmet.
"Princess?" He asks.
"Torin?" I ask back, he had been my servant when I was younger. "So, you're a knight now." I state, with slight disappointment in my voice, knowing he'd likely turn me in.
"I am, but that doesn't mean I'm against you." He tells me, "take what is yours, prince Max." He continues, stepping out of my way.
Surprised, I walk past him and start stuffing my bags with as much money as I could fit in them. When my bags start to overflow I start walking out and Torin walks me to the door.
As I start to leave Torin stops me.
"Max." He starts, "if you ever need help, I will always be at your service." He says.
"Thanks, but how will I reach you again? After all, I don't plan to come back here." I tell him.
"Here." He says, handing me a rag with a pirate symbol on it. "Nail it to a tree nearby here and I'll know you need me." He finished.
"I will." I reply, and with that, I finally leave. When I get back to the house, I put down my bags and talk to River while I wait for Jack to come back.