Chapter 24

Max's P.O.V.

I'm back in my room now, there's a doctor giving me pills again, I'm just waiting for my signal. The lockdown alarm goes off and I know it's time. I grab the leg of my bed I turned into a large stake and stab the doctor with it. Then I open the door and the guards come from both sides, I slash the throats of the two to the right and one from the left grabs me and lifts me into the air, the other gets a needle ready. Then he starts floating and gagging on nothing, the one who's holding me drops me as blood pours out his eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. They both fall to the ground once they're dead. A hand reaches down and I look up as I take it.
"Nobody fucks with my boyfriend." River says as she pulls me off the ground. More guards come, Michael throws two against the wall and River makes two people explode. Definitely not what I was expecting from her. Another guard grabs her and I stab him, Jack throws a knife at another guard on his way.
"We gotta get out of here!" Jack yells over the alarms, we run to the control station that's now empty and turn off the power that keeps the doors locked in a lockdown, I grab my daggers on the way too. We rush out the door and run into the woods, the power comes back on when we hit the treeline. The asylum's bright red warning lights contrast with the night sky, we keep running.
We run for what feels like forever before we finally see the house. I just hope we aren't too late. We walk up to the gate and push it open, as the cat walks by I have to remember not to try and walk through it. The door opens, and we walk in, and as soon as the door closes we hear Clyde up on stage announcing the contest. I grab Jack's hand and we run up on stage, Clyde decides he can't pick whose costume is cooler between the two of us so we both win. Then we go to the roof, parts of old and new shingles contrast with each other. Jack looks down at our graves that have already been dug for us.
"What happens when we die?" He asks.
"We become ghosts and live here forever." I tell him.
"Will it hurt?" He asks.
"I don't know." I say.
"What if-" his words get cut off and replaced with gargling from his own blood. I slashed his throat as he turned around, I didn't want to, but I knew if I didn't he might talk himself out of it or we'd run out of time. I can already hear the sirens in the distance.
"I'm sorry." I say, tears rolling down my face. He just stares at me and then falls to the ground. Then I drop my swords and I jump. I open my eyes and I'm on the ground, Clyde helps me up.
"Shit. It didn't work?!" I partially ask and partially yelled in disbelief. He gestures to the hole.
"Oh no, it worked Alright." He says. I look down into the hole I crawled out of and see my own body. Jack comes over to me.
"You could have warned me." He says with only slight annoyance.
"I'm sorry, but we were running out of time. I had to make sure you really did it." I explain myself. I go to grab the shovel but Clyde grabs it first.
"I'll take care of the rest, you two should go in and enjoy the party." He says. So we do. We go and party and have a good time.
The next day knights come to the house, along with Jack's parents and my parents. My mother has a large lump in her stomach, she's pregnant and I didn't even know. They check out the place, finding evidence we had been here but realized we were already gone. Our parents were obviously upset, and a few days later the newspaper says they aren't looking for us anymore. They gave up, now we are finally free.