Chapter 13

Max's P.O.V.

Jack is still asleep, he had a bad night but I know I have to wake him up eventually. I brought him to a bed upstairs and let him rest. I hold the blood stained sword in hands, I think it's a good idea to keep it in case of emergencies so I put it in the closet near the door. The bloody sweater is still on the floor, I'll go burn it, along with his other bloody clothes later. Nobody needs to know it was him. I decide now is a good time to wake him, since he needs to get cleaned up. We haven't fixed the house enough yet for a real shower but using some water bottles will hopefully be enough for now. When I get to his room I find him awake already and talking to Michael.
"Sorry to interrupt," I cut in, "but you should get cleaned up." I say, walking back downstairs. I hear him come down the stairs and he grabs a bottle of water and takes it to the bathroom, along with clean set of clothes. He comes out a few minutes later in jeans and a brown bear sweater and a face that isn't bloody anymore.
"How are you feeling?" I ask.
"Fine." Jack responds, I can tell he doesn't really mean it though.
"Look, what you did-" I start.
"I killed a man, is what I did!" He yells at me, I can see the tears welling up in his eyes again.
"Jack..." I start again.
"I didn't mean to do it, Max I didn't want to." He starts crying again.
"It was self defense, I understand." I tell him. He crys some more.
"You don't get it, I wasn't trying to kill him, I didn't even want to hurt him! I grabbed the sword to threaten him with it but I spun around and he was too close a-and an-and..." I hug him as he sobs.
"It's okay, everything's gonna be okay." I tell him. I comfort him for a while until he stops crying again.
"I'm going to get some supplies so we can start working on the house soon, while I'm out, I suggest you cut your hair, a different style will help make you less recognizable." I tell him, he nods and I leave to get some of the things we need to start working on the house, I keep my head down and my hood up as I go.
I come back a few hours later. With measuring tools, some wood, hammers, nails, paint cans, many types of pipes, etcetera. There were certain things I didn't get because I couldn't carry too much and I didn't know the measurements I needed, but I got as much as I could today. I also got sewing supplies and fabric to try fixing up some of the furniture. Jack seems shocked that I was able to even carry this much. I set everything down and shut the door, grabbing the purple and crimson sweater off the floor and going to the bathroom to grab the other stained clothes. I make a fireplace by using some of the bricks in the yard that likely broke off the house over time and making a circle and putting some small chunks of wood in the middle of it. When the fire seems big enough I toss the clothes in and watch them burn. I go back to the house and grab the mummy costume and the hospital gown the we wore here and toss them into the fire as well. I watch as our old lives flicker away for good, until there is nothing left but ash.