Fake I.D.'s

Once we started driving from Kansas to get to Las Vegas, we both got a lot more excited. I could just picture everything that was going to happen and I couldn't wait. I mean, yeah, we couldn't do much. But both of us were positive that we would find plenty of amazing things to do in the City of Lights. 

        "Where do you want to go first when we get there?" I asked Luke as we drove along the highway. 

        "A hotel. I need to shower." Luke laughed. 

        "Luke, hotels in Vegas are going to be way too expensive. Especially on such short notice." I said, also wanting to take a shower, but I was afraid that we would run out of money. 

        "Clara, seriously? I'm not arguing with you on this again. We are fine. Now can you please look up a hotel to stay in?" Luke asked, gesturing to the phone that was sitting in my lap. 

        "Fine. How long are we going to stay in it?" I asked, picking up my phone. I saw that I had a few missed calls, but chose to ignore them. I didn't want to deal with any problems that might be on the other line. 

        "How about a few days? That will give us more than enough time to see the city." Luke suggested and I nodded, looking up hotels to stay in. 

        "Okay, now I have an important question," I said, looking over at Luke. He glanced at me, nodding as if to tell me to keep going. "Do we stay in the cliche Motel 6, or somewhere that is decent?" 

        "I don't know about you, but I'm definitely feeling the Motel 6 thing." Luke said with a laugh. I laughed with him, hitting his arm lightly. 

        "Seriously, babe. Where are we going to stay?" I asked, looking back down at my phone. 

        "Preferably somewhere nice. But it doesn't matter to me." He said, turning his attention back to the road. I nodded, finding multiple nice hotels, but they were all at least $150.         

        "Luke, maybe we should stay in a Motel 6." I said, trying to find somewhere reasonable. 

        "How much are the hotels you're finding?" He asked, keeping his eyes glued to the road. 

        "All of them are at least $150." I said, reiterating what I had previously thought. 

        "That's fine." He said casually, and I gave him a weird look. "Clara, I promise you that we won't go broke. Really." 

        "I'm just worried, babe. We've spent probably at least two thousand dollars and we aren't anywhere near being done with this trip."

        "You don't have to be worried. I've got this covered." Luke said, placing a hand on my thigh.

        "Sorry," I sighed. "I'll find somewhere." 

        "Don't be sorry," Luke said. "You have nothing to be sorry for." 

        "I just feel like I'm being annoying with the whole money thing." I said, looking back at him from my phone. 

        "You're not annoying." Luke stated, meeting my gaze. 

        "Okay." I mumbled, looking back down and finding a hotel that I thought would be nice. It was expensive, but Luke said not to worry, so I wasn't going to. I looked up directions, letting the voice of the GPS fill the car as Luke and I drove to our next destination, almost seventeen hours away from us. 

                                        *          *          *          *         *          *          *          *