Lightning

"Where are we again?" I asked as Luke drove us through a state that looked like the only thing we would find was a whole lot of nothing. 

         "I don't know, maybe Kansas?" Luke said, glancing over at me. We drove past a road sign then, saying "Kansas City - 5 Miles." 

        "Why are we in Kansas?"

        "I don't know, I was just driving. I wasn't really paying attention to where I was going." Luke said, shrugging his shoulders. 

        I just nodded, looking out the window. After a few minutes, I got bored and decided to turn the CD player on. I started to hum along to the familiar tune that played from the speakers, tapping my fingers against my thigh to the beat. 

        "Do you wanna go somewhere? I'm getting bored just driving," Luke asked, turning the volume of the stereo down just a little so we wouldn't have to talk loudly. 

        "If you want to." I said, turning to look at him. 

        "Where should we go?" He asked.

        "I don't know," I shrugged. "I've never been here before, I don't know what there is." 

        "We could get lost in a cornfield," Luke said, making me laugh. 

        "Yeah, cause that's a good idea." I said sarcastically. 

        "Well sorry that the only thing I've seen for the past hour is corn and fields." Luke laughed.        

        "It's okay, babe. I feel the same way." I laughed, patting his arm. 

        "Thanks, Clara." Luke smiled, lacing our fingers together, resting them between us. "But seriously, where are we going to go?" 

        "I have no idea." I said, looking out the windshield for any signs that might indicate if there was anything cool to do. When I didn't see anything, I sighed, leaning back against my seat. Luke rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand, making me smile over at him. He smiled back, leaning down to kiss me quickly before putting his attention back on the road in front of us. I looked out at the sky, noticing how it had gotten darker. It looked like there was a huge sheet of black clouds in the sky above us, and I knew that some kind of storm was coming. 

        "I think our little plan is going to have to wait." I said, pointing to the sky. Luke looked where I was pointing and frowned. 

        "But I want to do something." He pouted. 

        "I know you do, I do too." I said, looking down at our hands. 

        "Wait! I have an idea!" Luke exclaimed, making me excited. 

        "You do?" 

        "I do!" 

        "Well are you going to tell me what it is?" 

        "No." 

        "Why?" 

        "Cause," Luke smirked over at me. "It's a surprise." 

        "Really Luke?" 

        "Yup." 

        "Ugh, but Lukey," I whined, leaning over and resting my head on his shoulder. 

        "You'll find out soon enough." Luke said, tilting his head to the side so it rested against mine. He took the next exit he came across, stopping at a gas station and getting out of the car.