Gasoline

"Maybe we should stop and get gas soon." I said, looking over and seeing that the needle on the fuel gauge was getting close to 'empty'.

          "No, I think we'll be fine. The guy said this car was really good on gas. We probably won't need to stop for another couple hours." Luke said, making me nod hesitantly.

          "Are you sure we shouldn't stop? The next gas station isn't for another ten miles." I persisted, watching nervously as the needle moved slowly towards 'empty'.

          "I am positive, babe." Luke said confidently. I rolled my eyes, already knowing how this was going to end up.

          "Okay, Luke." I said sarcastically, turning to look out the window.

          "What's the tone for?" Luke asked, sounding the slightest but irritated.

          "Nothing, nothing." I waved my hand at him, not even bothering to look in his direction.

          "Clara, we are going to be fine, now stop with the sassy attitude." Luke said, and I nodded my head, completely brushing off what he said.

          "Okay, Luke." I said giving him a thumbs up, looking at him only to roll my eyes.

          "Clara, stop it." Luke said firmly.

          "Stop what?" I asked innocently.

          "Stop being sassy. You're acting like a thirteen year old girl." I could tell he was getting frustrated now, especially since I could see his grip on the steering wheel tighten.

          "Well maybe if we stopped for gas, I wouldn't be acting like this." I said, glancing over to the fuel gauge, seeing the needle get dangerously close to 'empty'.

          "Damnit Clara, we will be fine! We don't need to stop for gas!" Luke yelled, making me flinch at the loudness.

          "Okay, fine," I snapped. "But when we have to pull over on this practically empty back road and hope someone drives by, I'm not helping you."

          I unbuckled my seat belt, getting a strange look from Luke as I did so.

         "Clara, what the hell are you doing?" Luke asked, his voice a mixture of confusion, frustration, and shock.

          "I'm going to sit in the back." I said simply, turning around to climb over the middle console. When I was just about to step onto the backseat, Luke grabbed my ankle. "Luke let go of me."

         "Clara, sit down. This is stupid." Luke said, his previous tone now mixing with worry.

         "I can sit down if you let go of me." I said. He quickly released my leg, allowing me to successfully get to the backseat. I sat in the seat behind where I was before, buckling my seat belt carefully, hearing Luke sigh.

          "Please don't do that again while I'm driving." Luke said quietly.

          "Why not?" I asked.

          "Because you could've gotten hurt." Luke said.

          "Luke, I'm fine." I said, not understanding how his frustration just faded that easily.

          "I know just, please," He stopped driving for a second and turned to look back at me. "Never again."

          "Okay." I nodded, seeing Luke smile a little and turn around to keep driving. I looked out the window, watching as the trees passed by us. I felt the car slow down a little, and looked at Luke with a confused look on my face. He had the same expression I did, looking back at me and then at the road in front of him as the car slowly stopped moving, even though Luke was pressing down on the gas pedal. I seemed to realize what happened before Luke did, since he still looked confused. He kept slamming his foot down on the gas pedal, obviously trying to get the car to move, but continuously failing. He threw his head back in frustration, groaning loudly. I giggled, having already known that this would happen despite his reassurance. He turned his head to look at me, and I could tell he was trying to hide a smile.