Chapter 12 (Edited)

By the end of the school day and basketball practice, I was tired. I didn't know if I had felt this tired in a long time.

I walked out of the school building and didn't see my mom, which was a normal thing for me not to see. I groaned and shook my head, dreading the reason on why she wasn't here. Mo-om, I thought you said you would be here, I groaned, taking out my phone, wanting to call her. I glanced at it to see that there was a missed text from my mother. Figures, I thought, frowning while I opened it.

I am so sorry, Martha. I knew I said I would pick you from basketball practice and take you home, but something came up with the clan I had to help deal with it. You'll have to walk home or get Tupac, Mr. Wesh, to take you home. I love you. ~Mom

"Just great. That is just great," I mumbled to myself, while I started the walk back home. My house was three miles from the school so it was a long walk for me, if I was tired.

There was a Blue Honda car, and I knew that it was Mia's mother's car. She lived across the street from me, but I knew that Mia wouldn't want to drive me home. She would ignore me, unless I told her what was happening to me.

"Martha," Mia called from behind me.

I paused and turned around to look at her. My heart was aching, because I knew that this was goodbye. I knew that she thought it would be the best for her, because I wouldn't tell her what was going on.

"So are you going to tell me?" she asked. She raised an eyebrow and frowned.

I shook my head no. I wasn't going to tell her, even if she begged and pleaded. It wasn't safe for her, and I wished that she would understand that.

She sighed and took off half a heart, that I had given her when Master Yin had died. On the necklace was the word 'Best'. I had the Friend part of it, and had made it into a key chain. When we clicked it together, it made a heart. She looked down, trying to hand me the necklace. "Then, I guess that I won't need this anymore."

I sighed and shook my head, not taking it from her. "Keep it and remember what we've been through, when we were best friends." I cleared my throat, when she looked at me and then at the necklace, before she placed it back on. Tears started to prick my eyes, and I didn't want her to see them. "Well, I have to get going. I have to walk home." With that, I turned around and started to walk home, with my head down.

"Martha, wait!" Mia said exclaimed.

I stopped again, but I didn't turn around. I didn't want her to see me crying over our lost friendship. I heard footsteps coming to me and felt a hand on my shoulder. I tensed, but I didn't shrug it off.

She turned me around and pulled me into a hug, both of us knowing that it was a goodbye hug. "I wish that you could trust me, Martha," she whispered. "You all ready know that I would keep whatever you were saying a secret."

"I wish that I could tell you," I mumbled, my voice cracking a bit.

"Then why don't you?" she asked, getting out of the hug.

I shook my head. I couldn't tell her. I couldn't tell her that I was different from her. I didn't know how she would act to the news. I was sure that she would be afraid of me, even though I was still me. Well, I hoped that I would still be me.

"Then, I guess that this is goodbye." And, with that she walked away from me. She got into her car and drove off, not even giving me a second glance.

I wanted to tell her everything. I really did. My heart was like 'go tell her', but my gut was saying 'don't tell her'. I went with my gut, even though I should've listened to my heart.

Right then and there, I knew that I had really lost my best friend, for good. I knew that I had lost James also, because he would follow Mia like a sick puppy. I knew that he was in love with her, but I don't think that Mia knew that.

What would Master Yin think of the person that I was becoming? Would he be as disappointed in me like I was in myself?