20 ▫ An Unexpected Twist

A/n: So this was impossible to edit...I'm at a wedding this weekend so I thought it would be nice to put fake nails on and now I'm completely useless and can't do anything, especially typing...

But anyway, I'm gonna be honest I've been hella annoyed by this fic these past few weeks, I've been writing it non-stop for the past few months and to be completely honest it's getting to the point where I'm sick of it. I've tried to stay a few chapters ahead with it so I still have another 4? chapters written I think? So updates will be normal for the next month or so, and I'm planning to take this next week off writing as I'm away anyway and hopefully when I come back I should be carrying this on as normal.

I appreciate everyone who has been reading this and I'm going to try my best to continue with regular updates for you all but at the moment everything I'm writing is just terrible quality and I feel like taking a break is the only way I can fix that.

If nothing is said in the next chapter about this, it's safe to assume that I'll be continuing this as normal but even if I do change when I upload, it will still be updated every two weeks instead of one at the very most.

Sorry for the long note but anyway, enjoy this chapter!

Y/n growled in frustration upon failing to rewrite Freed's runes once more, her hands reaching up to rub at her face in frustration. She took in a deep breath, closing her eyes and trying to will away the frustration that filled her body. When she opened her eyes again, she saw another few lines of text on the rune wall

Erza vs. Evergreen

Winner: Erza

"Wait so that means...?" The H/c mage began talking, spinning around the see the stone statues turning back to normal one by one.

"What happened?" Juvia asked confused, prompting a brief explanation from Makarov. Everything almost seemed to go back to normal for a moment, with everyone joking around and Natsu threatening to fight everyone, it was almost possible to forget what was happening and go back to their normal lives, however, everything changed as more runes appeared, forming the shape of a skull in the centre of the guildhall. Everyone in the room stared wide-eyed at the red skull, surprise and confusion evident on their faces as it began to talk.

"Can you hear me, old man?" Laxus' voice echoed throughout the guildhall, stray runes flying around the room.

"Laxus!" A chorus of confused and angry shouts filled the guildhall

"Seems one of the rules is gone, so I'll make a new rule now. In order for the Battle of Fairy Tail to continue, I have activated the thunder palace," Laxus' voice explained

"Thunder Palace?" Makarov exclaimed, looking positively furious

"You have an hour and ten minutes left. So, can you defeat me? Or will you retire , Master?"

With that, the rune began shattering, flying everywhere and disintegrating until nothing of the skull was left.

"What are you thinking Laxus? You plan on getting innocent people involved in this?" Makarov roared in anger before pausing and clutching his chest in pain, collapsing to the ground, much to everyone's surprise.

"Master!" A series of confused shouts chorused through the guild. Mirajane rushed to get his medication and Natu began questioning what Laxus was talking about however, at that moment Mira returned.

"Everyone, look outside!" She shouted, pointing to the second floor of the guild where the mages all rushed.

Upon looking outside, they saw floating spheres, each one containing a yellow thunderbolt.