38# Trust The Instinct

DEREK

He shouldn’t have done it. He should’ve believed you and left Lydia alone. You didn’t want anyone getting hurt, but once he started sending in his betas to do something more than talk, you knew you had to fight. Allison had been training you, and were were prepared for Derek’s attack. You were prepared enough to take down Isaac on your own while Allison handled Erica upstairs. By the time Scott got there, he hardly had any work to do, and that surprised Derek. It surprised him and it made him nervous, because that night was the first time Derek really realized that Scott already had his own pack, and that no matter how much you liked him, you would always be on Scott’s side. When everything was over and done with, both packs were coming to their own conclusions. While you and your brother knew that you’d need to put some faith in Derek and the betas to take down the Kanima, Derek knew he already had plenty of faith in you. Something in his mind told him that you were trustworthy even if your pack wasn’t, and he would have to trust his instinct when it came to you.

ISAAC

The night of that one lacrosse game was the night you knew. You could feel Isaac’s trust in Derek fading, and you could feel his alliances shifting to Scott. And, with Scott, he got you. After all the time he’d been doing the wrong thing, you knew you shouldn’t trust Isaac so recklessly. For all you knew, it could’ve been part of Derek’s newest plan to get his beta in on Scott’s plans, but for some reason, you couldn’t bring yourself to believe that. Everything you’d thought of Isaac changed the night when Isaac showed up at the game he wasn’t supposed to play. You’d been sitting front row so that you could manage a conversation with Scott without too many people hearing when all of a sudden another boy appeared out of nowhere and joined Scott on the bench.

“What the hell are you doing here?” you asked him, the tiniest smile on your face.

“Thought you guys could use a little help.” And with that, Isaac was doing exactly what he’d said— helping.

SCOTT

Your heartbeat picked up as you saw Jackson begin to approach you from across the library. You’d been completely alone, trying to get any information you could about the whole Kanima situation. At first, you hadn’t noticed him come in, but as soon as you heard his voice you mentally groaned. If and when he saw you sitting on the floor of the mythology aisle, he would undoubtedly make your research much more difficult than necessary.

“Abort mission,” you sighed to yourself, continuing to flip through your current book until a pair of shoes appeared in your peripheral vision.

“Mythology?” Finally looking up, you saw Jackson standing over you.

“School project.” Ever since he’d decided that your boyfriend was the enemy, you hadn’t been Jackson’s biggest fan.

If someone had something against Scott, they had something against you. Despite your clear displeasure when it came to his presence, Jackson took it upon himself to plop down next to you so that his leg was against yours and his breath was on your neck as he read over your shoulder. Even more, your heartbeat quickened.

“Kanima?” You looked up at him just as he turned his head to look at you, and the lack of distance between your faces made you instantly uncomfortable.

As if on cue, though, you were pulled up from your spot on the ground, and looked up only to see Scott gently pushing you behind him and toward Stiles as Jackson stood up. When the two co-captains began to whisper-shout at each other, you turned to Stiles to find out how the hell they’d arrived at such perfect timing.

“He heard your heart, I guess. You’re lucky; if it’d been me, the jackass would’ve had the perfect opportunity to kill me.” If the two boys hadn’t been about to kill each other, you would’ve smiled in honor, delighted to know that Scott only had such heightened senses when it came to you.

You settled for a light smirk, though, before proceeding to tear your heated boyfriend away from his worst enemy

STILES

An inside source. That’s what you’d become. The pack thought it’d be a good idea if you got on Derek’s good side so everyone was in the loop when it came to his plans. With Derek, though, came Isaac. Stiles hated that you spent any time at all with any of the new (and slightly evil) betas. It was a whole new level of despise, though, when he saw you at school with Isaac. Of course, he knew that it wasn’t really up to you, but Stiles couldn’t hold back the flame of jealousy that ignited when he spotted the two of you having a conversation across the room in Econ.

You’d originally been sat alone, but when Isaac entered the room he automatically joined you. Scott was a few seats away listening to your conversation before the lesson started, and Stiles quickly tapped in when he walked into the class.

“What are they talking about?” Stiles asked his friend, a worried look on his face.

“She’s trying to convince him not to go after Lydia.” Stiles didn’t reply, just kept his eyes on you for any sign of emergency.

Your friend didn’t know it, but you could feel his eyes burning into the side of your head, and you were fighting the urge to get up and sit next to him instead of Isaac. The two of you sat apart for the rest of the class, but the second Isaac was out of sight, Stiles was by your side. Over the past few weeks, you’d been noticing the little things he’d do that Scott never did and that Stiles never did to anyone else.

He stood exceptionally close to you at your locker while waiting for you to switch out your books; he stole a glance at you ever couple minutes in English as you read the assigned chapter in your books; he ran his hand over your hair with the excuse that a piece was out of place. You hated to think that you were being stupid, but every fiber of your being told you you weren’t wrong about your observations. Your instinct told you you were right about Stiles, and if you knew one thing, it was to trust your instinct.