Worst Birthday Ever

~nine months later, her birthday~

  I slowly wake up from another night of spiders, screaming step-mothers, and screeching two year olds.

  I swing my legs over the bed and watch as the spider bites fade away. Callie rubs against my side, purring. I scratch her behind the ear. "At least you still like me..." I sigh. I look at my calender and realize what day it is. My birthday.

  I get dressed in some jeans and a grey t-shirt with a owl in those nerdy black glasses. Some words are below it. "'Hey, there's the nerd!' 'Who?'"

  I head to the dining room table. Mom and Dad both have shadows under their eyes. Dad from working and Mom from me, maybe Dad has some stress from me too.

  I sigh and start to eat my breakfast. I look at Mom and Dad. "Can I go to the park?" I ask. There's a park in walking distance from the house.

  "Sure." Dad sighs. I smile softly and quickly clean my plate, then head out.

  When I get there, I see my other bully. The female one that is currently dating the Demon of school. Her name is Haven.

  "Oh, it's you." Her voice is all high and girly as she looks down at me in descust. Yeah, down. I'm one of the shortest girls in my grade. Heck even most of the first graders are taller than me.

  I ignore her and go to the swing, pulling my book out.

  "Reading? Again?" She asks.

  "Why do you care?" I finally ask.

  She glares at me. "Watch what you say to me, Chase, or Demontre will have you in the    dumpster-"

  "Faster than you can say 'lipstick'. Yeah, yeah. I know the drill by now." I say dryly. I look back down at my book.

  Suddenly the book is knocked out of my hand and a-

  I scream. A sp-sp-spider... she threw that at me. I fall backwards and hit the ground hard enough to knock the wind out of me. But at the moment I don't care. That thing is big, and I want as far away from it as possible.

  I stand up and start running, breathless, with Haven laughing after me.

  Once I reach my front door and know that the spider is gone, I quickly go inside and straight to my room. I pace around, trying to shake the image out of my head and rub my sore back all at the same time.

  I went to my desk and started doodling. I ended up with a scetch of Callie on my pillow and one of a eagle owl on a tree branch, watching the ground below. I hung both up on my wall and went downstairs for lunch.

  Grilled cheese and sweet tea.

  "Oh, here." Mom says. She hands me a small package with grey wrapping paper. "Your father wanted me to give it to you."

  I open it and find Dad's colledge ring inside. Weird, why would he give this to me? I glance at Mom to see a look of irritation pass over her face as she washes the dishes.

  I hear a strange hissing sound outside just as the front door opens to reveal Dad. Appearently he hears it too.

  "Everyone, in the basement!" He says. He grabs one of the twins while Mom grabs the other. I follow them down the stairs. Dad locks the door and we stay down there for five hours. I had a flashlight and a few books down here and the boys had some toys.

  "Alright, lets go up, it's safe." Dad says, after checking at the door. When we get up there Mom immedately pulls Dad into the study. I easedrop at the door.

  "Fredrick! She is a danger! She attracts monsters like a magnet!"

  "I know, honey, I know."

  "And every night she wakes me and the boys up multiple times, screaming about spiders that aren't there-"

  I run to my room and lock the door. Is that how they really feel about me?

  I change into my favorite night clothes and fall asleep with the light on. I woke up later to the spiders though I held myself back from screaming.

  I slowly went to the kitchen with my school backpack that I had completely dumped of it's contents except a book on Greek mythology and one of Dad's hammers.

  I put three water bottles, eight chip bags, five packs of crackers, ten fruit by the foots, six peanut butter potarts, and a jar of Neutella with a plastic spoon. I quickly went back to my room and slip on my hiking boots. I put a jacket and some warmer socks into my back along with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

  I start writing a note.

  Dear Dad and Mom,

  I heard your argument. I'm sorry about all of the trouble I have caused you, but you've caused plenty yourselves.

  I've decided to run away. I no longer feel loved. Dad, you have distants your self from me and I realize the twins are more important than a trouble attacting seven year old. I still love you somewhere deep inside, but I feel betrayed.

  Promise me one thing, if you can at least do that. Care for Matt and Bobby better than you did for me. Be there for their every problem, help them overcome their fears instead of insisting that nothing is there. Help them up when they fall instead of letting them pull themselves back together on their own.

  I won't be coming back, to protect all of you, but mainly my brothers from the trouble that always seems to find me. Yes Mom, I do care.

  Sincerly, Annabeth Chase

  I set the note on my bed and grab the hammer from my bag, then make my way to the front door, not glancing back.