35 - Business Card Blues

The next morning I stroll into the precinct late. The house was empty; Kit was gone. When I'd woken up, I'd bolted to the kitchen to fill a bowl with water and was just about to begin scrying when I remembered
Runsel. Reaching out to my permanent bond with the summon, I practically collapsed with relief when I realized he was at the school.

Mistress, do you have need of me? I left because protecting the girl is my main objective. Runsel's voice was a low rumble even in my mind. The Knight's servant said you would be tired but should not experience any side effects so I let you sleep.

I shook my head though he couldn't see me. "What happened this morning?"

Kit couldn't wake you so she called a guard to teleport her to school. I accompanied her.

The thought that Kit had left and that an unknown person had been in my house yet I hadn't woken was disturbing. It was a sign I'd underestimated my condition, but apparently Damien hadn't. Somehow, he'd reached out to my summon and told him to let me sleep. I thanked Runsel and cut off the mental connection.

Just because Damien had recharged my magic batteries didn't mean I didn't feel the effects of losing a large amount of power. Even though the power was restored, I'd been exhausted by the expenditure. That energy didn't come back just because the magic was returned.

Seeing as I was already late, I didn't bother hurrying. Which was why I strolled into the precinct at what normal people considered the lunch hour. Luke is at his desk, tapping an unhappy finger as he reads reports.

He's in the same clothes as yesterday, but for once they're rumpled. His hair, too, had been pulled and disheveled. I walked up, raised an eyebrow, and waited for him to glance at me.

When he finally did, he glared. "You're late."

I shrug. "I almost died."

The reminder deepens his glower but he just turns back to the paper and shoves it onto his desk with disgust. The outburst surprises me enough that I look at the paper. It's the request log for A765TN-UM. I see an identical one for A766TN-UM half burried on the desk.

"Want to tell me what you found?" I nod at the papers and Luke heaves a sigh.

"No, I want this all to be over," A hand runs over his face and I note the large circles under his eyes. Doesn't look like he slept at all last night. Probably worked instead.

"Well, the quickest way to end this is to solve the case. Who had the car and can we request the video for that night?" I pull my chair around and sit beside him.

He shakes his head and passes me the two sheets of paper, after some digging. I've never seen his desk so unorganized. Now, I haven't known him long, but it seems out of character.

I read the reports and scan for the night in question. A765TN-UM had been on patrol with the normal night shift officer far south of Seven Woods. I didn't recognize the officer's name as one of those that had stopped by our desks, but that didn't mean he wasn't involved.

A766TN-UM, however, was a backup and had been assigned to a detective who needed a car. A day shift detective who I recognized. "Are you serious?"

Luke's head falls back as he nods. "Yeah. I remember the night he came home with a patrol car because he'd lent his car to someone in his coven. I thought it was odd, but you don't question coven business."

I looked at the paper again. "And the footage..."

"Erased." His voice lacks emotions but I understand why. He's probably spent all night trying to rationalize any way this could all be true and his roommate could not be involved. And I don't think he could.