Chapter 32: Falling to Ashes

_____________

There was a loud ringing in her ears as Clary resurfaced, the black dots and streaks disappearing from her vision as the dungeon shot back into focus.

Hard, uneven and rough surfaces were underneath and behind her. She was sitting on the dusty ground and leaning on the side of one of the cells. Her head spun and her ears rang as she stared at the green and yellow cat-eyed warlock that stared into her eyes.

"There's too much mental damage and stress to her brain. She's very unstable." Magnus said, talking to...someone.

"Is there a rune that could help?" she heard Jace say, his voice like an echo that bounced in her hollow mind.

"Not permanently...I don't know if this will work but maybe a calm or peace rune?" Magnus said.

Jace nudged Magnus aside and held Clary's wrist in his hand. She stared at the top of Jace's blond head which was bended over her hand. She felt the same unfamiliar stinging sensation on her wrist. Slowly, the stinging dissappeared, replaced by a radiating warmth.

A comforting sense of peace washed over her, like how waves would wash onto the beach and tickle your toes except only it didnt return back to the sea or dissappear.

Clary hadn't realized she was tense until she tiredly leaned back into Jace.

"Clary, Clary," Someone shook Clary's shoulders and her eyes focused on Simon. "You said something about Isabelle. What was it?" he said.

She stared at Simon, trying to make sense of his words. Then the following words that exited her mouth were completely ignorant, as if she hadn't heard a single word Simon had said.

"Where's Isabelle?" she said.

Clary struggled to hold on to the image of the darkhaired girl with the silver whip as she watched the somber and alarmed faces crouched around her.

"Clary," Jace said, sighing. "Isabelle—Isabelle isn't here. She's...gone."

Simon's eyes shot towards the ground while Alec tightened his grip on his bow.

This
Gone?

As in, dissappeared?

Wait, who are we talking about again?

Clary's brows furrowed for a moment.

Isabelle, you idiot. We were talking about Isabelle.

"Gone?" she said, wishing that someone would explain to her the exact definition of gone in this case.

"Yes, Clary. Gone." Alec spat angrily. "Dead. Angel wings and a halo."

Jace looked at him sharply, tensing beside Clary. "Don't talk to her like that." he said stiffly. Alec stared at Jace, his eyes belonging to a tortured man. "Please," Jace added, his tone softer, sadness pronounced in his voice.

Alec growled in frustration, exhaling angrily. "Sorry, Clary." he mumbled. Magnus looked at him with hooded eyes, an emotion Clary couldn't decipher in his eyes.

It take Clary a few moments to understand the word dead. The word registered in her as if it was just a word as mundane and ordinary as the word sugar. Balls. Red. School. Car. Paper. Tree.

"No she's not." Clary said. Her head started to spin and she leaned weakly on Jace, his breathing shaky as she tried to see straight.

She didn't know why they would think Isabelle was dead.