Chapter 33: The Suzerain

_____________

Clary couldn't count the number of times a weapon had been threatening held to her body and used to hurt her in the last two hours.

Jace, Alec, Simon, Magnus and Isabelle walked in front to her, three of the soldiers in red and black accompanying them.

"Walk," Fria hissed when Jace tried to shake the hold that one of the soldiers had on his arm. "Or your little Clarissa gets it."

They walked in conversational silence, the only sound audible was the sound of boots against the floor and someone's harsh, labored breathing.

"Smart," Magnus commented, his speech heavy and breathy. His head was bowed slightly, his arms limp at his side. Clary realized it was Magnus who had been breathing heavily.

"What?" Fria said, a little too loud in Clary's ear.

"You putting a spell up." he said, sounding amused.

"What spell?"

"Don't play dumb. Though you're a little girl, you know quite a wealth of things about spells."

"I'm not a little girl." Fria shot at Magnus, avoiding the topic.

"No. You're just a very feminine man." Jace said, the sarcasm in his voice sharp and piercing.

Magnus ignored Jace and continued though Fria seemed livid with Jace's snide remark as the already painful grip she had on Clary's hand tightened even more, threatening to cut off her blood circulation.

"Move," she spat. "And shut up,"

"No," Magnus said, sounding tired though Clary could hear his smile. "I want to talk about your spell."

Fria didn't reply.

"I'm quite surprised. You're a warlock...yet I can't see a warlock's mark on you." Magnus continued to speculate. "And I can sense that you're a Downworlder but I can't sense what. Usually I'm very good at that because I've lived for a very long time and sensing other Downworlders are—"

"I'm not a Downworlder!" Fria spat. "I am not one of you weak creatures. I'm so much more and so much more powerful. I could snap princess's neck like a toothpick if I wanted!"

"Magnus..." Jace said cautiously, almost as a growl, his body tense.

"I would use magic to get us out of this mess, but you're blocking me. Sapping me of my energy..." Magnus said as if he were awed.

"It seems like you've got everything figured it out." Fria said curtly, grinding her teeth in Clary's ear.

"No. I haven't. You can use magic but...you're a vampire." Magnus mused. "You look like a vampire. You act like one and look like one..."

"I'm surprised you're not dead, Isabelle." Fria said, ignoring Magnus. "The suzerain told me you were dead."

"Sorry to disappoint," Isabelle spat. "What do you want?"

"You'll get your answers soon enough." Fria said.

She flung them all into a empty, circular open room. Clary felt her head thud against the floor and pain blossomed through her skull, making her vision blur for a moment.

"Clary!"

She felt herself being lifted off the ground and she leaned weakly against the body that held her. It happened to be Simon.

"Hello, everyone."

Clary froze at the voice as she hesitantly turned her head to look at the owner of the voice.