03 | it's bullshit

Silver sat at the edge of Steve's pool, her feet touching the very surface of the water, as the smell of chlorine made its way into her nose

Silver sat at the edge of Steve's pool, her feet touching the very surface of the water, as the smell of chlorine made its way into her nose. The little garden lights were reflected on the surface, as Silver stared at her own reflection. She had wiped her make up off in Steve's bathroom, and she was wearing one of his shirts that were to big for her, so it covered most of her body, reaching mid thigh. She stared right into the dark woods that stood in front of her, the only noise to be heard were some crickets and the distant cars pulling out of their own houses. It was past midnight, but Silver didn't feel tired at all. If anything, she was wide awake, as if she knew what her dreams would revolve around.

Steve has been staring at her from behind for a while now. He didn't mean for it to seem creepy, but he didn't want to interrupt the beautiful sorrowed silence that surrounded the brunette girl. He slowly made his way next to her, and sat down, his feet dipping into the cold water, remembering the conversation he had his with girlfriend not that long ago. Well, he guessed she was his ex girlfriend now. Like we're in love. It's bullshit!

"What happened?" Silver's soft voice broke the silence, her tone filled with curiosity as Steve glanced at her sideways, her big wide eyes staring at him. He looked away, not being able to look into her blue eyes without feeling vulnerable. He knew she didn't mean any wrong ; he wanted to ask her about Jonathan too. Was she experiencing the same heartbreak he was? The one when you find out the one you love the most, simply doesn't love you back? After everything the two of you have been through together? After all the I love you's, just to find out they were all a lie? "With you and Nancy." She muttered, looking away as she wondered to her own thoughts.

Steve swallowed the lump in his throat, holding back the tears that endangered his real feelings. "She called bullshit on us. She doesn't love me. Never did." His voice broke, as he looked down ashamed. Was it him? Was it his fault for not realising what she was truly feeling? For not being able to help her? "I'm just an idiot for not realising." Silver looked towards him, and her heart clutched in her chest. She knew exactly what he was feeling. "Well, she was drunk. Delirious. You can't fault her." She tried to excuse the seemingly perfect girl, who had committed a mistake by letting go of this in love teenager who was completely head over heels with her. Steve scoffed, and shook his head. "Drunk thoughts are sober ones."

Silver slowly nodded, eventually pulling her gaze away from the handsome boy who sat next to her. She hated seeing him feeling just like she was. Silver let out a soft bitter chuckle, splashing her feet around. Steve raised his eyebrows as he looked at Silver, confused on why she was laughing. "What?" He asked, curiosity laced into his voice, wanting to know what was so funny. "We're so screwed up. No one wants us." Steve shook his head and smiled, covering it up as a joke, but both of them truly felt like that.

He was really intrigued by her. Her way of holding herself and self respect made him want to get to know her better. She didn't have any features that stood out, but in her plainness she was beautiful. Her shoulders were broad and she held her noble head low, with an air of deep pain that she hid away with her timid demeanour. Her hair was thick with light brown waves that blew softly in the cold breeze. Her brow was soft, quizzical, and serene with maturity and wisdom. Her jaw was set and her mouth was thin, straight, and the color of a light pink rose. And then her eyes- they were deep as a great body of water- indeed- and just as blue, they looked through you without fear as if they already knew what they were to find and that you should be very ashamed of whatever it was that found her judging gaze.