19 | we live in hawkins, not flippin' new york

WE LIVE IN HAWKINS NOT FLIPPIN' NEW YORK

also known as : chapter three - the case of the missing lifeguard

Silver scrunched her nose at the strong smell of chlorine. She tugged uncomfortably at the tight red swimsuit that hugged her slight curves. She felt her brain was being pulled out of her ears at how tight her updo was. A pair of black sunglasses were sustained by the bridge of her nose as she peered over them, looking at the different bodies sunbathing or jumping in the pool. The hot rays of the sun were beating down on her as small beads of sweat slipped down her body. Too bad she couldn't swim on the job. 

She sighed, ignoring all the shouts, whistles and loud chatter of the kids as she made her way towards the lifeguards chair, nearly stopping in her tracks as she saw that Billy would be her co-worker. She groaned, attracting attention of some people walking by her as she pushed her sunglasses up. She should have taken that babysitting job. Beat working with Billy.

Billy low-whistled as she took her seat next to him, uncomfortably wrapping her arms around herself to hide as much of her as she could. "If it isn't Steve's bitch. How's your boyfriend?" Silver avoided his gaze, rolling her eyes behind her shades. "He ain't my boyfriend." Billy leaned back into his chair, a smirk on his lips. "Aw, poor Henderson. Not even Harrington could love her." 

"Did you have too much ass last night or what?" Billy scowled, shaking his head and Silver then realised how truly tired he looked. Dark bags under his eyes that he tried to hide behind his shades. The white baggy sweater he hid behind. His raggy unbrushed hair. The beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. Silver frowned at the boy, wondering what could have left him so exhausted. She looked away, pressing her lips together. "You look awful. Too much of a beer last night?"

Billy's whole facade changed, and suddenly it seemed defensive, as walls built up in order to hide something. Silver wanted to know what. There wasn't many things that could leave the eldest Hargrove battered up. "None of your business." he growled under his breath, making Silver raised her eyebrows. "Forget I asked." she muttered under her breath, sighing as she looked away, but Billy managed to hear. 

He turned to her, confused at why she was partly worried about him. He opened his mouth to say something, but deciding not to, he turned away, leaving the conversation mid-finished.