25 | you sound like a muppet

YOU SOUND LIKE A MUPPET

also known as : chapter seven - the bite

P.S: imma change the cover soon so beware

Bored out of their minds, Steve and Robin had locked themselves in the girl's bathroom after Dustin and Erica told them to stay in there, hiding from the Russians. Silver was still resting, a peaceful look on her face as she leaned her head on Steve's lap, his hands running through her long brown locks, untangling the knots that stayed unbrushed on her head.

The blood had dried on his face, as he licked it off his bottom lip. Steve's face throbbed in a dull pain, but it wasn't his current problem. Silver's face looked so peaceful he didn't want to wake her up, but he was restless, wanting desperately to check if she was okay. If she felt okay.

He scoffed himself mentally. Of course she wasn't okay, she'd been experimented on and now had some crazy unknown powers. Steve told himself that might have been a one time thing.

"Wanna play Truth or Dare, but without the Dare?" Robin interrupted the static noise of the music which was supposed to be playing in the bathroom. Steve sighed, shrugging slightly, not thinking of a better way to pass the time. "You start."

"Okay..." he trailed off, attempting to think of a good question. "When was the last time you peed yourself?" Robin flushed, slightly embarrassed. Her blonde hair was stretched across the floor as she was laying down, her legs leaning on the toilet seat she had made sure to clean.

"Today, when the Russian doctor took the bone saw out." Steve cut through the silence with a loud laugh, making Robin sit up as she giggled, their laughs growing louder. "Just a little bit, I swear." Steve looked at her in disbelief, not believing her entirely.

"Your turn. Hit me."

"Have you...ever fallen in love?" Steve's smile faltered as Robin wiggled her eyes suggestively, looking at Silver and then at the brunet boy. A few heartbeats passed before he answered, not stopping to think.

"I used to think I was when I was with Nancy. First semester, senior year." he paused, doing a fingergun as he shot his heart. "But...someone made me realise that I hadn't been. In love with Nancy, I mean." his gaze flickered to Silver, who leaned into his touch as if she craved it, a fond look settling over his bloody face. "She made me defy everything I had ever settled for. To want more for myself. To be a better version of the old me. The prom king me."

Robin rolled her eyes, remembering Steve's popular faze in high school. "God, you were such a dingus." Steve chuckled, unable to disagree. "You know, Silver didn't tell you about getting into university because she wasn't ready to loose you." Steve looked down sadly, not wanting to loose her too. "Don't give her a reason to leave Hawkins and never look back."

And Steve Harrington was hit with the cold harsh reality, that if he pushed Silver away, she'd be gone for good. There would be no going back. Jessica Henderson would think that he didn't care, so why should she care back? Just because Steve loved her, doesn't mean he would be holding her back. She'd still be amazing and successful, just with him by her side. Together.

"What about you, Robin? Ever been in love?" Steve swiftly changed the subject, appreciating when Robin didn't mention it. The blonde sighed, bitting on her bottom lip, unsure of how to admit her truth. A truth that could drive Steve away. She didn't want to loose his friendship.

"Not love, but...there's this...person." Robin hesitated, avoiding his curious gaze. "Kacey Milgreeves. You know her. She works at the rival ice cream shop."

"Yeah, she's friends with Silver. What about her?"

"I wanted so badly for her to look at me, for her to get a job at Scoops Ahoy, instead of that trash ice cream place she works at. No offence." Steve frowned confused, egging her to go on. "But she has never once glanced at me. And I used to go home, and scream in my pillow, begging for her to look at me."

"But...Kacey Milgreeves is a girl."

"Steve." Robin put emphasis behind the name, tears threatning to spill.

"Yeah?" Robin stayed silent, and when a look of comprehension settled over his face, she flushed. "Oh. Holy shit." Steve widened his eyes, realising what his newly best friend was trying to say to him. Robin liked girls. The blonde's eyes searched his, awaiting for his rejection, for him to push her away in disgust.

But that reaction never came.

"But she's a total dud!" Robin frowned, denying his statement. "She totally is. She wants to be a singer, and move to Nashville -Nashville, of all the places on earth!- and have you heard her sing? She can't even hold a tune." Robin laughed, shaking her head.

"She had dreams."

"I think she must be tone-deaf. Have you heard her?" he started singing, very off-tune to Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. "She sounds like a Muppet giving birth."

"You sound like a Muppet!" Robin argued, laughing over her head as Steve joined in the laughter, continuing to sing in the top of his lungs, his voice cracking with the strain.

"I hope you never become a singer, Steve Harrington." Steve abruptly stopped singing at the sound of her soft voice, looking down to see that Silver's caramel eyes had flickered open and were now staring at him with such fondness. A relieved smile broke onto his face, craddling her head in his lap as he checked her over.

"Are you okay? Jesus, Jess, you scared the crap out of me. You could've died." he paused, noticing she had no fatal wounds to her. "Why did you come? You would've been safer outside." Silver sat up, stretching her sleeping limbs as she rubbed the mascara off her face. Even then, stripped, exhausted and rough, Steve thought she looked like the most beautiful person in the world. It didn't matter how many other girls he saw in the rest of his life, none would compare to her.

"Because you were in trouble, and I always come back to save you, Batman." Robin pretended to be sick by the cheesiness as Silver flipped her the middle finger, flushing slightly as Steve stared at her, a grin on his face. His Silver was alright. She was there right in front of him, besides it all. He opened his mouth, feeling in the moment, but the door slammed open, revealing Dustin and Erica.

Dustin's eyes searched her sister, smiling once he saw that she was okay. The Henderson siblings, together throughout time.

"Let's get out of here."