11 | night vision

NIGHT VISIONalso known as : chapter eight - the mind flayerpart one

NIGHT VISION
also known as : chapter eight - the mind flayer
part one

Footstep. Wind. Distant screech. Crickets. Soft breathing. Crunch. Cough. Caw of a crow. Hoot of an owl. Creak. Tree branches swinging together. Sounds the group of five could hear in the late night as they searched for Dart. But no talking. No conversation. Just deep minds in focus, trying to wrap their thoughts about what happened, and what was to become of everything, and what they were heading to. For the three kids, these three elemental questions had to do with the Upside Down and Dart. They needed to find Dart so they could stop the madness and hopefully prevent anyone's death or injury.

But for Steve and Silver, what was on their minds was completely different. It seemed that the sake of the cost of their lives seemed of a less value than the thought of them two kissing, what it had meant, and what it brought to their relationship. Silver didn't know what to think. It's not like she didn't like it. She very much felt strong feelings for Steve, that was made clear. But she couldn't help but feel that it was the heat of the moment. The adrenaline. Neither of them had been thinking clearly ( like the last time ) and it should just be forgotten. Forever. Or at least until they sat and spoke deeply about what they wanted to do. But for Silver, she hoped that wasn't anytime soon.

Steve was replaying the moment in his head, remembering the taste of her cherry chapstick on his lips, the way her body melted against his, how his arms fit exactly around hers. Just looking at that moment, without thinking about their screwed up history, it was perfect. Beautifully perfect. The reason he was replaying it was that he wanted to memorise it, because he knew it wouldn't happen again any time soon. He knew Silver well enough ( his words, in reality he knew her nearly perfectly ) that she would try to push him away. But that was okay with him. Because he knew her. And he wasn't going to give up. Not when the thought of kissing her again popped up.

They both had insecurities. They both had had their hearts broken, or used. They both had some type of screwed up history with family ( his being neglected by his parents, and hers being abandoned by her father ). They shared common background, and were still totally different. Which was what made them fit each other. Not perfectly, because every couple has their up and downs, their perfect imperfections.

Their hands brushed together, as Steve stretched out his finger, considering gently grabbing her hand, fitting each other perfectly, feeling how her's was small and would fit in his warm hand. He recoiled away, and tucked his hands in his pockets.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas broke the silence, as Dustin rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Yes. He had the exact same yellow pattern in his butt." Silver raised her eyebrows at him, crossing her arms across her chest. "I don't even want to know what kind of sexual things you did to know that." Silver mocked, making Steve snicker as Dustin glared at her. "Oh, ha ha."

"He was tiny days ago." Max argued back, steering the conversation back to what it was. "Well, he molted three times already." The group kept a steady pace, using their flashlights to lead the way. "When is he going to molt again?" Asked Max. "It's gotta be soon." Replied Dustin with confidence. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it."

"Yeah, he's going to eat a lot more than just cats." Said Steve sassily, not realising the mistake he made, as the three kids stopped in their tracks to stare at him. Silver smacked her forehead at Steve's mistake. "Wait, a cat?" Lucas slightly pushed Dustin, putting an arm in front so he wouldn't keep walking. Dustin remained silent. "Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No." Stuttered Dustin, obviously lying, as Steve frowned in confusion. "What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Said Steve in the most deadpan voice anyone had ever heard. Silver sighed and dug her face into the palm of her hands, snickering at the situation and at how Steve didn't manage to realise that Dustin was obviously lying. "Mews? Who's Mews?" The redhead turned to ask him. "Dustin's and Silver's cat." Dustin groaned loudly, as Steve looked at him. "Steve!"

"I knew it! You kept him!" Exclaimed Lucas, reaching over and pushing him slightly. "No!" Dustin lied again, trying to come up with some excuse to get himself out of the hole he had dug himself into. "No, I...he missed me. He wanted to come home." He said pained. "Bullshit!" Swore Lucas, as Silver looked at him defiantly. "Language, Sinclair."

"I didn't know he was a demogorgon, Okay?" Dustin ignored Silver, as him and his best friend continued arguing. "Oh, So now you admit it!"

"Guys, who cares? We've got to go." Pleaded Max, as Silver silently agreed with her. But the two boys weren't having it. "I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Silver scoffed under her breath, rolling her eyes. "Now that's a bit of an exaggeration."

"So did you!" Shouted Dustin, his eyes going wide of the heated argument. Lucas took a second to recompose himself, confused. "What?" Dustin pointed his flashlight in Max's face, who winced at the sudden bright light on her face, in contrast of the dark night. "You told a stranger the truth." Max pushed the flashlight out of her face and scoffed, getting closer to the argument. "A stranger?"

The two boys continued shouting to one another at their top of their lungs, not realising Steve had separated a bit of the group, hearing distant screeches, not too far from them. He turned around, and yelled. "Hey, guys!" But with no attempt. Silver, quickly getting annoyed at the petty argument, clenched her fists. "Guys, shut the fuck up!" The trio looked agape at Silver, who quickly realised she swore in front of the kids and quickly put a hand in front of her mouth. "Shit, forget I said that. Pretend in never happened." Steve snickered as Silver bit down a laugh, as the three kids chuckled along.

Steve, quickly followed by Dustin and Lucas, make their way to the sound, as Max looks at them exhausted. "No, no, guys, why are you heading towards the sound?" Max yelled behind them, but with no luck. Silver rested a hand on her shoulder, making the redhead look up to her. "You sort of get used to it at the end." She ruffled up her hair and jogged behind the boys, as Max swore under her breath and followed too.

They reach the top of a cliff, that overlooks the whole forest. But there's too much mist and it was too dark to be able to make out any shapes or figures. "I can't see anything." Dustin stated the obvious, making Silver roll her eyes. "Unless you have night vision, I didn't think you would, dingus." Dustin stuck his tongue out at her, sighing. Lucas put the binoculars up to his eyes and stared at them. "It's the lab. They're going home."

This chapter is so short, I'm so sorry. This is more of a filler chapter. I promise the next one will be better

20 VOTES UNTIL NEXT CHAPTER