14 | truce?

TRUCE?also known as : chapter eight - the mind flayerpart four

TRUCE?
also known as : chapter eight - the mind flayer
part four

Mike had come up with a clever idea. If Will didn't know where he was, he wouldn't be able to spy for them. This way they could get a reaction out of him, maybe even some information or clue on how to get rid of the mind flayer, and destroy it once and for all. Hopper had thought that the shed would do perfectly well, putting tape on black cloth and tape to make it unrecognizable for both Will and the monster possesing him. Of course everyone helped, which meant to be stuck in small groups around the house completing different tasks at hand. And of course, it would be their luck to find Steve stuck with Nancy and Silver stuck with Jonathan.

And oh boy was it uncomfortable.

Nancy kept taking glances at Steve, who purposely avoided her gaze, concentrating on his task in hand. She cleared her throat, but when she didn't get an answer out of him, she resorted to other ways. "Hey." Steve finally looked up, and Nancy could perfectly see how the emotions in his eyes had changed for her. The caring and love that was once hers was no longer there. Instead, he looked at another girl that way, and for Nancy, there was only caution and distance. No resentment. But just a sense of being far-away friends, reunited after years, but deep down they were strangers.

"What you did, um, helping the kids...that was, really cool." Nancy wanted to get some emotion out of him. Something that was there before. She knew what she had told him. And deep down, it was the truth. But there was some comfort for her that, with all the change going on, there was something that remained the same.

But it hadn't.

Steve looked away, nodding, muttering low a small agreement. "Those shits are real trouble, you know." he said jokingly, with a solemn tone, as he climbed on the step-on ladder. Nancy chuckled, helping him. "Believe me, I know." and once again, it went back to as it was earlier, with Nancy wishing he had continued the conversation, and Steve wishing it had never happened.

Funnily enough, a common thought that hanged on each of the four teenagers was similar. Jonathan and Silver were wondering if Steve and Nancy had fallen back into each other again, hoping for god sake's that they weren't their second option, their safe choice. And Steve and Nancy were wondering if Silver had forgiven Jonathan, if they were going back to what they were before, just them two and nobody else.

But everything had changed. Feelings had been born, and others re-discovered. And there was no going back. No going back on all the resentment, heartbreak and false illusions and lies that had been once shared. No going back on the kisses, secrets and hand-holding that were now written on stone.