It Was Only A Matter Of Time

ALY'S POV

"CHICAGO PD!" I heard Voight's voice yell from the other side of the door.

"You bitch!" he shouted as shoved me down onto the floor and brought his hands to my neck.

"CHICAGO PD! OPEN UP!" I heard Jay's voice from the other side of the door while Brad continued to choke me.

I woke up from my sleep and quickly sat up in the bed. I reached my hands up and felt my neck as I realized that it was just a nightmare. I grabbed my phone from the night stand and looked to see that it was a little after 6 o'clock in the morning. We had an hour longer before we had to get ready for work. I looked over and saw that Jay was still asleep, so I gently got out of the bed, trying not to disturb him. I quietly left the room and headed out to the living room area. I grabbed the blanket from the back of the couch and walked over to the bench by the window that looked out over the city. I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders and sat down on top of the bench.

It had been a couple of days since I was attacked and I was still having a rough time dealing with it. I tried to play it off like everything was okay, but deep down inside, I was struggling with it. The events from that night kept replaying in my head over and over again. I could have been killed that night. Cops put their lives on the line every day and that was the first time that I had been attacked.

I looked out the window at the city. People were getting up to start the day, people were heading to work, and the sun was getting ready to come up.

"Aly?" I heard Jay's groggy voice say and I looked over to see him rubbing his eyes. "What are you doing up already?" he asked as he started to walk towards me.

"Had a bad dream," I answered, hoping that he wasn't going to ask what it was about.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked as he sat down in front of my legs.

"I don't know," I quietly said as I shook my head and looked back out the window.

"Is it about what happened the other day?" he asked and I looked over at him before I nodded my head.

"I can't stop thinking about it, Jay," I said as my voice broke and tears came to my eyes.

I watched as his eyes softened.

"Come here," he said as he moved closer to me and pulled me into his arms.

I snuggled up to his chest as he held me close.

"Everything is going to be okay, Aly. I won't let anyone else hurt you ever again," he said as he rested his chin on the top of my head.

We sat there for a few minutes in each other's arms as we looked out of the window at the sunrise.

"How about I make us breakfast this morning?" he suggested as he broke the silence between us.