FOUR. max

NATALIE D'ANGELO

the next few weeks of school go by in the exact same order as the first day.

me getting up, getting dressed, eating as christie and i go to her car, christie dropping me off at the middle school, me going to my plain locker, meeting up with will, having will taken from me and being all alone.

every single day was like that. on repeat.

it'a a normal day in mr. clarke's class when someone new first walks in, he's going over something to do with the human brain.

i hadn't really pay attention to everything he said but i stayed awake nonetheless, drawing in my notebook and chewing on a piece of bubble gum.

the door opens and closes causing me to look up from my notebook and my drawing.

a red-haired girl walks in with the principal. she is very pretty.

"ah, this must be our new student."

"indeed it is, all yours" the principal says walking up to mr. clarke.

another new student. i think.

i dont feel as alone even if i don't know her.

the girl tries walking to a seat but she is quickly intercepted by mr. clarke.

"alright. hold up. you don't get away that easy" he says causing the girl to come back to him. "come on up don't be shy."

the principal walks out, leaving the girl standing up at the front of the room. "dustin, drum roll" mr. clarke says looking directly at the curly haired boy.

dustin closes the cover to his book and taps on it rhythmically, he did the same thing for me too. i wanted to shoot myself it was awful.

"class, please welcome, all the way from sunny california, the latest passenger to join us on our curiousity voyage, maxine!"

"it's max" the girl spoke up.

"sorry?"

"nobody calls me maxine it's max." the girl corrects mr. clarke. the entire class is silent and the energy in the room is awkward.

"well, all aboard max" mr. clarke smiles. she walks back to the only seat left in the class. it is right next to me.

i watch as all four of the boys heads turn to follow her. they just stare and she stares back until they turn around.

will looks back at me and smile. i smile an oh-so fake smile. i hate the way he always leaves me. it was like he believed the doofus' he was friends with were better than me.

after max was introduced, the class went by fairly quickly so when the bell rings everyone runs out including max.

i follow her though. "max! max! hey!" i shout earning the attention of a few other people in the hallway.

she turns around, furrowing her eyebrows. "uh yeah?"

i put my hands into my back pockets. "hi."

"uh hey."

i bite the inside of my cheek as we just stand there staring at each other.

"i'm natalie i'm new too and uh yeah that's all really... i just was wondering if you wanted to each lunch with me because i have nobody and i, yeah, i was just wondering... you don't have to like i'm not forcing you t-" i ramble on and on until max cuts me off.

she chuckles.

"yes i'll meet you in the lunch room" max smiles and walks away. i smile as i watch her.

soon lunch comes and i am so happy to see max. i dont have to eat alone for once. i grab the paper bag out of my bag and sit down at one of the tables.

max joins me and we eat and converse. she tells me about california and i tell her about new york. we commented about how weird it is to be in a new school.

we even talk about siblings. she has an older brother named billy. older step-brother.

she says he is a complete asshole. i believe her with the things she says.

lunch ends and i had to go the rest of the blocks without her. but she meets me at my locker when the dismissal bell rings and i am beyond happy.

i have a friend that doesn't leave me when someone quote un-quote better came around.

we walk around to the back and she shows me some amazing tricks she had learned on her skateboard.

i wish i had talent in something like that. it was amazing to see her flip and trick and do all sorts of amazing things.

i can feel eyes on us two the entire time though. like we were being watched. i scan the entire place just to see the "av club" by the baseball field.

my body moves and i go up to max, whispering in her ear. "don't look but the group of losers is watching us."

"i know..."

she rips out a piece of paper and a sharpie she has in her bag as she pretends to speak to me. she writes down a:

'stop spying on us, creeps'

skates for a few more as i pretend to read the paper before she grabs her skateboard and walks up the ramp near me, grabbing the paper from my hand, crinkling it and throwing it in the garbage.

we enter back into the school and walk together before stopping when we reach the front.

"i'll see you tomorrow?" max asks and i nod quickly, trying to hide the excitement that i have a friend in hawkins now.

"of course" i smile. she waves and walks away. i look around smiling for a minute before walking over to christie's car.

"hey could you take any longer?" christie rolls her dark eyes before starting her car.

"shut up... i made a friend" i tell her and she cocks a brow.

"what's his name"

"her! max!"

"a girl friend!"

"a girl friend!"

i am beyond excited... i need a friend... because it seems like will is slipping away.

slowly

but surely

—NOTE
can't wait for max & nat to be girlfriend goals
-forbiddendolan CATRAD0RA vhsgrays -SHISTERBRI alexbrightx toostilinski