NINE. broken glass

NATALIE D'ANGELO

NATALIE D'ANGELO

"stop being a baby and do it already!" mike yells at lucas. i chuckle, leaning against the brick wall. "this is so disgusting! is this really necessary?!" max asks the two boys.

i sketch in my notebook as they do all of the dirty work looking for dart. the dirty work was definitely not for me. not at all.

"what the hell is going on?" dustin asks coming around the corner. we hadn't seen him all morning, him or will.

"they're looking for dart nimwit" i speak up, continuing to drag my pencil along the page. never once taking my eyes off of my drawing. three trash-filled garbage bags fly out as lucas tossed them over the dumpsters edge.

they land right in front of the three of them, scaring the living daylights out of them. i chuckle when they all slightly yelp.

"jesus!"

lucas hops out and looks over at dustin. "well, well, well. look who finally decided to show up after i drew the short straw! real convenient!"

"you stink" max says scrunching up her nose and moving away from him. i take a big whiff of the air. she was right.

he smells absolutely disgusting. like rotting garbage.

"she's right! i can smell you from here sinclair!" i laugh as lucas turns around to give me a look. not a nice look either.

"hi max" dustin smiles at max awkwardly. i laugh when max says hi back. she was almost confused as to why dustin had said it that way.

but it was quite obvious that dustin had the biggest crush on her ever.

mike looks back at me, eyeing me up and down before turning around. is this after last night?

"where's will?" dustin asks everyone. we all glance around. "he'll be here" mike speaks up. it goes quiet before someone speaks again.

"are you just gonna stand there or are you gonna help?" lucas questions before tossing a stick towards dustin.

"hey why isn't nat doing anything!" dustin exclaims looking at me. everyone else turns around and i shoot him a look.

"busy!" i say showing him my sketchbook. he shrugs in agreement and they go back to picking at their garbage.

the whole entire day after that, will never showed up. not once. his absence scared me.