THREE. first day

NATALIE D'ANGELO

summer goes by way faster then i would have ever wished it to. it feels like in a blink of an eye the days of plastic squirt guns and staying up until 11 o'clock at night are over.

since the time i could remember my days in school, i always...ALWAYS dreaded the first day of school but the first day in a new town where i had one friend!

this was going to be the worst first day of school ever.

i feel bad for christie more though. starting her senior year off at a different place! i cant even imagine how sucky she is feeling.

picking my outfit was supposed to be crucial but i was lazy, tired and anxious so i decided on a simple outfit. one that was cute but didn't scream i'm new please look at me!

i grab a pair of overalls. i had cut the pants off so they were shorts at the bottom instead of the classic long leg.

i rummage through my now filled dresser until i find a tight red long-sleeved t-shirt. i slip it over my head trying not to mess up my hair in the mean time.

i put on some white socks and my black colored vans that sit in the corner of my room. my hand slides over my dresser taking my wooden jewelry box out. i a pair of earrings that has little red cherries on them.

a knock on my door scares me as i push the earrings through my pierced ear.

"yes?" i call.

christie's head pops in. her short dyed black hair falls in too.

"you almost ready?"

"yes now get outtttt!"

she rolls her eyes and the door closes. i reach down grabbing my black backpack, it's embellished with a pin of the outsiders on it. i finish with a spritz of body spray before i run out of my room.

christie stands there, her large head leans against the wall.

"slow ass" she mumbles turning on her heels. "shut up!" i hit her shoulder and she laughs.

she wears a tight tight tight black long-sleeved t-shirt that she had cut so it stopped just above her belly button.

she pairs the shirt with a pair of jeans and a red and black flannel is tied around her waist along with the black combat boots i had bought but realized they were too big for my small feet.

we walk down the stairs. "good morning girls!" my dad says. he sips hot coffee out of a huge mug. the mug says #1 dad.

"good morning dad" christie and i both say in a monotoned voice, like we are trained little robots.

"eggos!" my mom points to the four eggos that sit on a white plate. i take two and christie took the others putting them in her mouth as she searches her bag for her keys.

"good luck today girls!" my dad says as his eyes run over the news paper.

"thanks!"

"thank you!" christie's voice is muffled from the eggos she had in her mouth.

we walk out of our house and out to where she had her car parked. we quickly get in and drive our way to the school.

i dread every mile closer that we get to the dreaded place.

christie drops me off at the middle school. stopping in the parking lot.

"good luck bud" she says as i grab my bag on the floor. "you too" i sigh.

i get out of the car and bend down to see her pretty face. "i'll need all the luck i can get, pick you up at 3?"

i nod. "bye"

"bye"

she drives away and i sigh again before walking up. the halls are crowded now because i had gotten there so late.

everyone stares at me when i walk in. i make my way to the principals office where i get my schedule and code to my locker.

i walk all the way to my lockers getting the stares and especially the whispers.

"who is that?"

"she's hot dude"

"new girl?"

that's very few of the many things i hear as i walk to my locker. my hand twists the dial and i unlock it, unloading a few of my books grabbing my schedule and seeing what i have first.

science, mr. clarke

i sigh grabbing what i need and closing my new locker.

the locker at my old school i had decorated with stickers and pictures of ollie and i and the rest of our friend group.

this one is bare and empty like the room at my new house, the first month we were there i got my bed and everything set.

i was trying to decorate it but i was never fully motivated to unlike christie. she had hers decorated with every poster, picture and thing she ever owned. she told me she hated the place so she had to make her room her sanctuary.

i look down the hall and see will standing at his locker, looking in.

he puts something in there. i walk down the long hallway to him.

"hi" i say to him.

he humps. he must've not heard me walk up. "you scared me" he slightly laughs.

"sorry"

we laugh together for a quick second before he talks again. "how are you?" he asks me. we haven't seen each other in a week.

"good how about you?"

"pretty good"

we chuckle again at our awkwardness. the two of us end up conversing for a little before the three other boys walk up to both will and i.

mike gives me a direct side-eye the entire time.

"come on" he says looking at mike. will looks from me to mike and back to me.

"i'm sorry i-"

"it's fine really" i fake a smile at mike and will and the other boys. will joins the boys and they all walk away from me, whispering. my smile completely disappears.

leaving me in the hallway of the school.

the school where i have nothing and nobody. no friends. no idea where anything is.

it is the worst first day of school in the history of first days.

—NOTE
ugh
-forbiddendolan CATRAD0RA vhsgrays -SHISTERBRI alexbrightx toostilinski