TWO. friend

NATALIE D'ANGELO

"i'm still confused as to why natty gets a bigger bedroom than me and she's younger" christie says the next morning when we're all sitting at the kitchen table. she makes sure to emphasize the words bigger and younger

she was upset when she had found out that i had a bigger room than her. it wasn't even that much bigger but to her it was

"because, christina, you're leaving for college next year" my mom says as quickly she puts a golden brown pancake on my glass plate. it's cooked to perfection.

"thanks mom" i smile .

"of course darling"

"it's still stupid she gets a bigger room!" continuing on with her argument.

"you're stupid" my dad jokes around with her as he reads the newspaper, slowly sipping on a hot cup of coffee. "oh thanks dad" christie gives him a fake smile.

"welcome" he says tipping his head towards his oldest daughter.

we all laugh and soon my mother finishes the entire breakfast. pancakes, eggs, bacon and sausage.

so so good. just absolutely amazing. especially the way my mother cooked. she could've been a chef!

when i finish pigging out on my food, i run upstairs and into my bare room.

i go through my many boxes picking out a pair of old jeans, a black tshirt, a pair of red socks and my combat boots.

it's a cute-ish outfit for more exploring. not to dressed up but not too not dressed up? i think that's the words.

"mom i'm going out!" i yell as i run down the stairs into the living room, past the kitchen and to the front door. my father and sister look as me as i run past them.

"okay!" she yells back from the kitchen. i can hear the water running and i know she is washing the dishes from breakfast.

i go outside and make my way to my bike, grabbing it and riding away from the large house i now called my home.

i take a left at the end of the street, then a right, then another left. i ends up at some park. it's a beautiful park right near the woods.

there is no one there.

no one but a boy sitting on a bench. i look closely trying to see if i recognize him from anywhere whether it was the gas station the night before or maybe even the boys from the woods yesterday.

i do. i do recognize him.

it's will. one of the boys from the day before. i stop my bike and park it right next to the bench.

he is so deep in thought he doesn't even hear me riding up or parking my bike beside him.

"uh hey" i speak. my words startle will. he quickly snaps out of his thoughts and looks over at me, his eyes wide. "hello" he say before going back to looking out at the trees.

almost like he was getting lost in them

"sorry to ask but do you remember me? i saw you and your friends in the woods yesterday"  i tell him.