SEVEN. promise

NATALIE D'ANGELO

NATALIE D'ANGELO

the sudden ringing of the bell scares the living shit out of all of us. we hurry to pack up our bags as we make our way out of the av room.

"we gotta show him to mr. clarke!" lucas says as we walk out of the av room. "what if he steals my discovery!" dustin yelps.

i give him a look, "he's not gonna steal your discovery!"

dustin looks at us. "i'm thinking about calling it dustonious pollywogus what do you think?" he asks me with a smile.

"i think you're an idiot" i smile back at him. his smile quickly fades before he starts to talk again.

"when i become rich and famous for this one day, don't come crawling back saying, 'oh my gosh dustin! i am so sorry for being mean to you back in 8th grade!'" dustin says in a higher pitched voice mocking me.

"i don't sound like that!" i say scowling at him. "you so do!"

"i do not!" i say looking back and forth between him and max, asking her to stick up for me. she shrugs and i roll my eyes as we walk back into mr. clarke's classroom.

"what can i do for you guys?" he asks smiling when lucas, dustin, max and i walked into his classroom.

"this is the reason i was late" dustin says putting the trap down onto the table. "pretty neat. these doors function?" mr. clarke asks him, tapping the trap.

"well yeah, obviously, but it's not about the trap, it's about what's inside... now this very well may change your perception of the world."

"consider my interest piqued" mr. clarke smiles at all of us. "first let's clarify that this is my discovery not yours-"

i cut him off. "dustin just show him!"

"i'm trying to clarif-"

"dustin!"

"okay, fine!"

before he can finish the door flies open and none other than the emo king himself, michael wheeler runs through the door screaming.

"stop!" he yells.

i notice will behind him. mike rambles on and on about how dart and the trap was just a stupid prank and that it wasn't important.

he grabs dart and continues rambling to mr. clarke as dustin yells at mike continuously asking what he was doing.

"we need to go!" mike yells at us.