TWENTY. the gate

NATALIE D'ANGELO

NATALIE D'ANGELO

the ride to the lab takes much shorter than i want it to. it seems like we went from one end of the driveway to the other end with the time it took.

the second time in the night i'm here. i will make sure i will avoid this place for the rest of my life.

hopper and el conversed as we drove there. i was trying my best to stay awake as i laid across christie's lap. she braided my hair softly and hummed one of the songs our mother would sing to us when we were kids.

she'd sit us down after bathtime, put braids in our hair and sing the same song over and over again until she was done. it was a sweet song about an open meadow with a dear and soft pillows of grass.

i would go to bed dreaming of that heaven every single night.

when we drive into the property we see that the entire building is a barren wasteland, the same way we had left it hours ago.

hopper parks the truck in the middle of the road before we all hop out. he goes to the large back of the truck, ducking in so he can pull out quite a large amount of weapons.

i looked at el who stares up at the lab like it's a haunted house. or something firm her nightmares. i can agree though. it looks utterly terrifying, towering over us, lights flickering, scary roars coming from every where.

i grab onto el's hand and christie grabs onto mine. "we got this okay?" she says to both el and i. the two of us share a look before we glance back at hopper.

all he does is cock the gun in response.

"alright, you guys let me do the heavy lifting up front alright? you save your strength till we're below" he says watching as we all stare up at the lab.

"let's go" el says to us. we nod and our feet are taking us off. we walk forwards still holding hands. our unity showing.

we follow behind hopper as we walk directly into what i would call the hornets nest.

the alarm still blares throughout the building the same way it was earlier. dead bodies lay on the ground, all mangled up from the demo-dogs that had feasted on them.

there is blood smeared all over, the walls, the floors, in every single crevice imaginable.

it's a breeding ground for at least a thousand of unknown diseases. i get chills just thinking about it.