SIXTEEN. army

NATALIE D'ANGELO

NATALIE D'ANGELO

hopper walks out of the room, he is in front of us with a hefty gun on his arm. he scopes around, his finger on the trigger incase we need to shoot at any time.

i grab onto mike's hand. we give each other a reassuring look before following hopper out of the room.

the lights are flickering and i can feel my heart breaking what feels like 200 beats per minute. my anxiety is through the roof and i am surprised i am not curled into a ball puffing air into a paper bag in the corner of the room.

we run and run, finally making it to the main lobby of the building. being free is just a few feet away.

my feet are tired. "don't slow down nat!" mike yells and i pick my pace upx

suddenly we are out of the building but i watch as joyce turns around waiting for bob. my head turns to look and the next thing i know, a monster lunges towards him.

"no!" i scream slamming my fist on the glass. we almost made it out. all of us. mike has a sedated will slumped over in his arms as hopper runs to get joyce.

"hey champ!" bob said patting will on the back, causing will and i to take our attention off the movie. "hi bob" will smiled back.

will and i were watching grease on the tv.

it was the second time will and i had ever hung out that summer. he had told me about bob and how happy his mom seemed with him.

when joyce was happy, the world was happy

"hi, i'm bob" bob said extending his hand. "i'm natalie, will's friend" i said before looking over at will.

"nice to meet you natalie" he walked away but came back a few short minutes later when the movie had ended.

"so natalie is there anything you're good at?" he leaned over the back of the couch and questioned me. "i'm good at math and cartography and nerdy stuff i guess" i shrugged as i brushed my bangs with my fingers.

"that's not nerdy! that stuffs awesome"

we spent the next hour bonding over that. bob was awesome. and he owned it

"nat!" mike says loudly. i snap out of my thoughts and watched as he drags me towards a car. will was with hopper and a distraught joyce.