FIVE. halloween

NATALIE D'ANGELO

halloween has always been my favorite quote unquote holiday of the entire year. you get to dress up.

be somebody else... for one night.

for one night out of the entire year it was okay to be somebody other than yourself. to play a character.

i loved it.

max and i spent a week on deciding what to be. she decided she was gonna go as some killer and i decided on a greaser. the classic obviously.

christie insisted on making me wear make up when i told her that i was going to be going as a greaser. i never really wore makeup unless i had an event. it took time out of my days in new york.

i ended up giving in to christie's wishes no matter how much i didn't want to. so the two of us sit "can you just sit still before i kill you!" she says as she tries to put mascara on my lashes.

"i don't need it!" i flinch as she puts the wand closer and closer to my eyes.

"you do!"

"rude!"

we argue for a minute or two before i give up and let her finish. when i look in the mirror i was shocked. i look like a greaser. a true feminine greaser.

"woah" i whisper as i fix my bangs. "yeah, i know, i'm quite amazing" christie says as she puts her makeup back in her makeup bag.

"don't get cocky" i squint my eyes at her and she does the same thing as she gets off of my bed.

"don't be a bitch."

she leaves my room and i shake my head laughing before throwing a leather jacket over my shoulders. i wear a pair of tight black jeans paired with a black top christie had cut herself. it showed my belly button.

i have a pair of red converse covering my feet and my pillowcase in my hand. the doorbell rings downstairs and my mom immediately yells for me.

"natty! max is here!" she screams from the bottom of the stairs.

i look in the mirror one last time before sighing and walking out of my room. i make my way down the staircase to where max converses with my mother.

max had came over once or twice and my mom immediately loved her. the same way she loved ollie.

thinking of ollie and halloween made me sad. we always did our costumes together.

since kindergarten we went trick-or-treating and everything halloween related together. whether it was carving pumpkins or watching scary movies before going out.

one year we were dorothy and the scarecrow

i feel myself tear up but quickly remember i am wearing make up and christie would killed me if i screwed it up.

i fake a smile and walk up to both max and my mother. "hey" i smile at max. "hey" max smiles a wide smile back.

"you two have fun... be back by 11:30" my mother says pointing at me.