✮ Chapter 12

The group had been waiting for Joseph to finish with checking everyone out of the hotel before reconfirming with a member of the Speedwagon Foundation for their next course of action.

While Joseph chatted away on a wall phone tucked in a corner, you fiddled with the leaves of a small potted plant.

Your eyes were focused on Avdol, who happened to be shuffling the deck of his tarot cards.

"It's now or never," you sigh before making your way over to him.

Glancing up at your form, Avdol greets you with a smile.

"Hello, [Y/n]," he pauses briefly at the frown on your face, "Can I help you with something?"

"You wouldn't mind giving me a reading, would you?" You ask as you settle in the seat next to him.

"Of course not," Avdol says as he places the cards down on the small desk between their seats.

"May I ask what brought this on," he inquires, noting the frustration in your eyes.

"It has to do with my stand." You cross your arms. "Twice now, it's made an appearance but not fully. The only time it does show up is when I'm in a pickle."

Avdol rubs at his chin thoughtfully before asking "And during those two moments, how did you feel?"

Tense, you respond with "Overwhelmed and angry."

Those situations weren't ideal, more so of the fact, you felt at your weakest during those instances.

Of course, you don't mention that to Avdol.

Avdol eyes your tense form briefly before spreading out the cards. 

"[Y/n]." He utters your name softly, pulling you from your frustrating thoughts. "Relax to soothe your nerves. Take a few deep breaths in and out. When you feel calm enough, pick the cards that call to you."

"Alright." You take a few slow deep breaths in before softly exhaling, the tension in your shoulders slowly easing with each exhale.

No longer feeling your frustration at the forefront of your mind, you focus on the tarot cards spread out on the table.

Without any hesitancy, you only pull four cards from the spread deck. Keeping your drawn cards face down, Avdol collects the others and sets them to the side.

With the four cards centered in front of you, you noticed them in the order you had pulled them.

Slightly worried, you manage to pull off a determined expression as you give Avdol your undivided attention.

"I'm ready!"

Avdol smiles briefly before flipping over the first card.

It was the Strength card, yet instead of its usual upright position, it was reversed.