Do I Need Food or Bleach?

When someone invites you out for Thai food, the polite thing to do is to say yes (or, no, but like, not rude and all.) You talk, you eat, you probably go to a secondary place, and you have a nice time before exchanging pleasantries before leaving. That’s the common code of conduct, right?

Well, for one, you don’t witness a gang fight between 3 Vietnamese people in the entrance of the restaurant and have to stand around half an hour with the other witnesses, even having to answer some questions for the police. You also don’t get proposed to by a random middle-aged Korean on the street as well.

He had been so out of his mind that when Yuta asked him to be his tutor halfway during the meal, Si Cheng was this close to stabbing himself with his chopsticks. What the hell was going on today? Was this a joke? Someone please tell him this was modern humor.

He tried not to look at Yuta, instead deciding to stare at the clock behind him, forgetting for a few seconds that Yuta was right there. He didn’t want to be a tutor. He had enough of his own problems. What if he taught a concept wrong and Yuta failed and took his dumbass to court and Si Cheng would be in even more debt and-

“Winwin?”

“Shit-I mean , no!” SI Cheng exclaimed, hitting his bowl and dripping some soup on the table in the process. “Uh, I mean, that’s not really a good idea-“

“It’s just for stats,” Yuta blurted out. “Please. I’m failing. Mark and Jaehyun don’t know shit about that and you’re the only one I know that’s in that class.”

Si Cheng was going to deny him again when Yuta put his bag on the table and started looking through stuff in it. Si Cheng thought he was going to show him his grade or something when Yuta pulled out a stack of-

Fives?

Yuta slammed the stack of bills on the table, looking up to see Si Cheng at an eye-level. “I would have written a check but stacks of money look better.”

Si Cheng looked down and pushed his soup to the side, since it was clear that they weren’t going to finish eating anyways. “So you’re bribing me.”

“I mean, I guess, technically,” Yuta explained. “But, I mean, I don’t know why you would reject it, so if, like, money is what your after-“

“Honestly, I hate tutoring others,” Si Cheng told him. “I did it in high school for credit, and it was really… difficult to say the least. I don’t wish to repeat it.”

Yuta nodded and picked up his chopsticks and eat some noodles. “Understandable. High school is not something most of wish to repeat.”

Si Cheng was glad that Yuta didn’t push it any further, but he still felt his stomach churn with guilt from rejecting Yuta’s cry for help.

Which is why the next set of words were totally uncalled. “What’s your percentage?”

Yuta frowned. “In stats? Last time I checked, it was a 68%. Why?”

Si Cheng just nodded. “I might be able to help.”

“Is it that bad?” Yuta asked. “We’re not even that far along.”

“It’s..in the failing range, like you said,” Si Cheng agreed.

“What’s your percentage?” Yuta asked him.