8. Presents and Food

It’s been forever since Johnny has last bought Ten a present. 

He wasn’t talking about candy, or a night out (although it’s been a while for that, too.) He wasn’t talking about the little things he would gift him with, like the small keychain he bought thinking of Ten, or that little coin purse that had som tam all over it. Sure, they were nice; he loved to show his boyfriend how much he meant to him. 

The thing, however, was that, well…. Ten deserved better. He deserved a real necklace, not the cheapest ones that Johnny would find at Target that would rust in three days. He deserved a great hoodie made of finer quality, not one that would soon shrink in the washer. He deserved trips to places, the two of them laughing and smiling and not having a care in the world, not having to worry about anything. 

Look at him now. Johnny wasn’t even sure he could afford the movie date today. 

He could still remember that time when he took Ten to a steakhouse to celebrate a performance he had done, but his debit card was rejected. He cringed the entire time they were at the cash stand. Of course, Ten offered to pay, not worried at all, but Johnny had felt awful, especially on the other’s special day. 

Now look at him. He didn’t even know if he could buy the tickets now. 

Not wanting another ridiculous scene, he walked over to the bank and decided to check his balance. 

Like always, it was double digits. And to his dismay, he only had $15. 

Johnny slammed his head on the machine, emitting loud groans. $15? He was so pathetic. He couldn’t even afford two tickets. 

He’s was going to have to cancel today’s date, which was of course the worst part. Ten had really been looking forward to this movie, some Korean movie adaptation of a book he has read. And how was Johnny supposed to cancel, anyway? Hey, I am your stupid broke-ass-bitch boyfriend who can’t buy tickets so we can’t go. Yeah, that was not happening. 

He took out his phone and dialed Ten’s phone, the other picking up after five rings. “Hello? Johnny?”

“Hey Ten, um,” think of something. 

He pretended to cough. 

“Hey about our date today,” he said, making his voice sound as raspy as possible. “I don’t think” cough “I can go to the” another cough “that I can make it.”

Ten’s voice was immediately voiced with concern. “Are you sick? Johnny, what’s wrong, your voice sounds weird.”

“I have a headache, I can’t get out of bed,” he said. 

“I’ll be there in fifteen, okay?” Not giving Johnny a chance to speak, Ten hanged up.