Chapter 1

Quiet nights were always your favorite. Violet skies with smoky clouds. Leaves dancing to an invisible tune of the wind while birds try to find a resting place until the sun emerges and a brand new day begins. The stars, having been hiding for hours, began their light show. No shows are ever the same, and no stars ever looked the same to you. The circular pan that took up the most space in the night sky was your favorite. Its craters reminded you of your grandmother, who, until her death, wore a smile on her face, wrinkles, and dimples showing.

As the memories of her floated through your head, the weight of the hairpin she gave you grew more obvious. Sometimes you would put your hair up randomly just to wear it. It felt like your grandma was there to brush your hair every night.

Grandma started getting sick when you were 15. When your parents were away for months for business trips, you and your twin brother had stayed with her and slept next to her every night. You had gotten used to her presence and had even taken it for granted. A part of your heart was buried along with her. As much as your brother tried, even he couldn't fill the hole that your grandmother left.

Your parents were outside in the living room. Their papers scattered all over the table and floor. They concentrated on the case at hand. Attorneys never rest, you thought. No wonder Taehyung wanted to be like your grandparents and be farmers. Speaking of which, Taehyung was at rehearsal with his band. It was raining lightly outside and you remembered that Taehyung didn't bring his umbrella. And considering that your parents were too busy with their work, they wouldn't have time to pick him up. By no means are they bad parents, they just raised you two to be independent.

Considering that you needed to buy some snacks, you decided to walk to his rehearsal at the local cafe and pick him up. "I'm going to go pick up Tae. I'll be back." you told your parents.

"Please be careful honey," your mother said.

"I will eomma." You heard them talking amongst each other, sometimes it was something regarding the case, and other times it's complementing each other. Like how great that your mother caught that little detail or how confident your father sounded when talking to the judge.

You grabbed the biggest umbrella you could find. The smell of rain was never your favorite. Partially because it was mixed with the smell of pavements and damp grass. The iron gate gave out a loud creak as it automatically wheeled back. Because of the rain, there was hardly a soul outside. The streetlights planted along the two sides of the streets cast long shadows. Occasionally, you would jump in a rain puddle and dirty your dress.

The sight of the cafe was near and even though it was just a rehearsal, there was a line of boys and girls waited outside the door just to get a glimpse of the band. The band, Strawberry Saxophone, was wildly popular at your school for the music and for 6 devilishly good-looking boys and Taehyung being one of them. You got used to the attention at school and maybe some fake friendships. But you had your own activities like dancing and painting to keep you busy.

Inside the cafe, you could see that Taehyung was still practicing and it didn't look like he would be done any time soon. Rather than waiting outside with his screaming fans, you walked to the nearest convenience store to buy some chips, candy, and banana milk specially for the baby of the group. But once you get to know them, it was hard to really tell who is the actual baby.

Upon your return outside, the sky got obviously darker and the rain persisted stronger. The streetlight nearest the store flickered on and off. A strange feeling crept over your body and the hair on your neck came alive. Shaking it off, you walked back to the cafe. The workers knew you so they would allow you inside, perks of being friends with the owner's son.

Somehow, the distance to the cafe felt infinite. The rain decreases visibility dramatically. What you saw became like a kaleidoscope. Not now, you thought, please not now. You needed to get to a chair or something before your knees complete give out. Subconsciously, you reached out to the nearest object and held onto something soft. It was the fabric of a jacket. Confused, you looked up to see a man wearing a black cap. He had a lollipop tucked in his mouth. His eyes weren't almond shape, more like trapezoids with prominent eye corners.

You opened your mouth the thank him but instead, he yanked your wallet from your hand and in another swift moment, grabbed the hairpin. Your hair fell over your face and for a split second, the stranger's eyes widened. At that moment, you felt too weak to say anything except "Anything but that." But it came out as a whispered that the rain drowned out. He scrunched his face and you saw his dimples, it made you miss your grandmother even more. Your feet wobbled and the umbrella dropped to the ground. The stranger was taken aback but began running away. But he didn't make it far because he heard your body falling to the ground.

He should run but his purpose was only to rob you, not to let you die. Luckily there was no one around. He dashed back to your body and lifted your up bridal style and laid your body on the bench by the convenient store. Your body was involuntarily shaking. He bit his lips as he took off his hoodie and draped it over your body.

"Sorry," he said before running back into the rain, disappearing with your hairpin. The rain was cold but not as cold as the feeling of not having your grandmother with you. While lying unconscious, you began to cry silently. It's gone.