The return of Lorelei

Lorelei

Seven months, three weeks and two days. The guards come three times a day, that's how I tell time. Since Lady Sif, the warrior bitch returned me back to Asgard. Talk about humiliation. So close to getting what I want only to have it stolen from me. Things don't get worse than this.

Three starch white walls, one white tiled floor, a barrier of energy and a blanket for a bed. Or I can describe it in one word: cell. Not just any cell, an Asgardian cell. One that no prisoner has ever escaped, unless you count the incident three months ago, but that was a dark elf in disguise. Plus everyone and myself included escaped and got put right back in. Doesn't count. Or does it?

Damn, I wish I had power like that. Even with persuasion as strong as mine, the barrier keeps it from being helpful in any way. No persuading the guards of letting me out and no bribery of any kind, Asgardians are way too loyal. Except for me and well, Loki.

The-raven-haired-suppose-to-be-dead-prince turns up around once a week recruiting prisoners for his own private army. I've been waiting for him to come, stupid jerk. Always walking right past without a glance in my direction. At one point in my life men begged to be with me, they fell to their knees and everything, but not anymore. At one time I was even more sought after than my sister, the so called enchantress. She never deserved the title.

*****

Flashback~600 years earlier

I straighten my necklace once again and finger the incrusted emeralds. A gift from my mother for the ceremony along with my dress. A woven corset of golden thread with a skirt of flowing green silk completed with golden boots. Perfection, my mother knew me all too well.

I pucker my lips and do one last inspection of my hair. Perfect, down to the very last curl.

"Your vanity will be your downfall" my sister says.

"And yours your wiseness" I reply with a laugh flicking a stray curl off my shoulder. "I was finished anyway. I have to look my best when I become enchantress" I turn away from the mirror.

"Please, Lorelei. There is no way in Hel you are ever becoming Enchantress" Amora chuckles.

"We shall see about that" I state fixing her with a glare. She sneers and stalks away lifting her ridiculous ball gown to keep from tripping. The hideous thing was father's gift to her, all covered in sequins, glitter and gem stones. She resembles a bilge snipe. I follow after her.

There's always been a rift between us but the past year has driven us farther apart. The House of Abon has always been a line of Enchanters and Enchantresses. The title is handed down through generations from father to son, wife to daughter. The Enchantress' job is to protect Asgard but also be an adviser to the King! All year Amora and I have studied and practiced magic in the hope that we would be chosen.

And I have to be chosen. My sister may have powers over ice and snow, but she's rigid and shy, not exactly the best people person. Wheres I am a natural people person and pretty flamboyant. Not to mention I am faster, stronger and better looking, plus there's also my power of persuasion. It's very handy. Go figure that my father's deaf, otherwise I could have swayed his decision. Maybe this is payback for all the times I snuck guys into my room. Karma's a bitch.

I follow my sister down the golden hallways of the palace and we stop side by side in front of the doors to the balcony. In a minute we will step out and our father will announce to Odin which of us will become Enchantress. "Good...luck" Amora says. I nod and smile. I won't need luck.

The doors swing out and we take our first steps onto the balcony.

My mother and father stand to our right in their finest attire, proud looks on their faces.

The House of Odin stand to our left. Queen Frigga and King Odin smile at us and beckon us forward. Beside them are their two sons, Thor and Loki. Thor is blonde and muscular wearing silver armour and a red cape. Loki's pale skin and slender build are unusual in Asgard but he's much better looking than his brother.

We walk up to the railing and down below are thousands of Asgardian faces. Their cheers erupt as they see us. Amora looks queasy at the idea of so many people looking at her. I raise my head tall and proud and smile. I could definitely get used to this.

I glance backward and see a few words exchanging between my father and the King. I squeeze Amora's hand, "This is it" I whisper. She bobs her head meekly and stares at her feet. The crowd screams our names until King Odin thumps his sceptre upon the floor. The crowd becomes silent.

"Fellow Asgardians!" he announces in a loud voice, "I give you Asgard's Enchantress..." I clasp my hands together as the suspense builds. "Amora Abondottir!"

What?! Impossible!...I'm suppose to be Enchantress.

My sister's face makes me cringe. She grins up to her ears and tears of happiness sheen on her cheeks. I put on a fake smile and give Amora a light hug willing myself not to break every bone in her body. The House of Odin and Abon close in with praise toward Amora. I slip through them and into the hallway. They won't miss me.

"Quite a show, Huh?"

I whirl around. Loki leans casually against a column, a book in hand, a mischeivious smile on his lips. I straighten up and keep my voice even, "If you could call that a show" He takes a step forward and my heart races, a bit.

"If it makes you feel any better, I was rooting for you"

"A nice sentiment, but that won't help me now" The only thing I want now is revenge. Against my sister, against my parents, against Odin, against Asgard!

I walk down the hallway, away from Loki to keep from exploding. "Lorelei!" he calls, concern clearly etched on his face, "Be careful"

*****

He knew that I wanted to get revenge. My revenge didn't last long. I worked with King Surtur of Muspelheim and King Laufey of Jotunheim to gather a big enough force to take on Asgard. We attacked and were easily overtaken within a matter of days. Which earned me a thousand years in prison, 600 I've already completed.

Life is so unfair. If I was made Enchantress, none of this would have ever happened. All my father's fault, but I did get my revenge on him. Two days after Amora was made Enchantress, I persuaded my father's own guards to kill him. I smile at the memory of his screams piercing the air. Totally worth it.

I stretch out on my blanket and place my hands under my head. Might as well lounge as I wait for Loki. This could take a while. I hum a short tune and a song I heard on Midgard comes to mind.

"Holy water cannot help you now
Thousand armies couldn't keep me out
I don't want your money
I don't want your crown
See I've come to burn your kingdom down"

"Holy water cannot help you now*
See I've come to burn your kingdom down
And no rivers and no lakes can put the fire out
I'm gonna raise the stakes, I'm gonna smoke you out"

"Seven devils all around me!
Seven devils in my house!"

The last line I scream at the top of my lungs, let Loki hear me. Let him come.

"What in Hel are you doing?!"

*Song: Seven Devils by Florence and the Machine